1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom by Louis Sachar

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mattnick1981, Dec 12, 2011.

1. I saw this being recommended by lots of people on here and along with the planning that us availble, seemed like a great book for a boy-heavy class! But, does anyone just find the relationship between the councellor and the boy a bit weird and inappropriate? Have I missed something and being a bit thick?! Or am I looking into something that's not there?!
    Apart from that, I loved the book!
    Any comments and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2. I saw this being recommended by lots of people on here and along with the planning that us availble, seemed like a great book for a boy-heavy class! But, does anyone just find the relationship between the councellor and the boy a bit weird and inappropriate? Have I missed something and being a bit thick?! Or am I looking into something that's not there?!
    Apart from that, I loved the book!
    Any comments and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

3. We've been doing this book for a few years now and the kids generally really like it.
    The relationship seems rather weird and inappropriate, but it's not something I tend to focus on too much. We talked about it last year, very much along the lines of "she likes him like his mum or older sister would...and it's not as if the two are snogging in the cupboard". This was in a class where the majority very quickly made a link to Waterloo Road and the love affair between teacher and student shown there at the time. They did understand that it wasn't a "normal" teacher-pupil relationship, but then, Carla isn't a teacher.

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I like the book immensely and have used it extensively in Y5 and 6 but I'm always a bit befuddled by this bit. It's not necessary and opens too many questions - specifically the bit where she kisses him and the other bit where she tells him she loves him.
    It can be explained by discussing that there are many ways of loving someone and there need be nothing inappropriate about it, but it's an odd conversation to have, particularly with teachers being such careful professionals where we wouldn't do anything remotely like some of the things she does. Consequently, I've missed these parts out entirely with certain classes who wouldn't have coped with it. I don't like to censor books at all, but the rest of the book is very good, so it's worth it just to expose the children to it.

5. Thanks both for your replies...it was a part of the story that did seem totally unnecessary and without any resolution; it just seemed to be 'not mentioned' and brushed under the carpet! Obviously it is a extremely popular book and the my class would love it, so will just have to have a think about the issues and the potential questions it would raise with my class.