1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

There was an accident during an experiment today...

Discussion in 'Science' started by Goldopals, Mar 7, 2012.

  1. So far the worst accidents to happen in my year 10 science class have occurred because of me (dropping and breaking a test tube, watch glass and stirring rod).
    One of my year 10 boys accidentally knocked over a beaker of dilute sulphuric acid over my leg and foot. I was wearing a below knee length dress and ballet flats (and labcoat) and was unhurt in any way, but did spend a portion of the lesson with my foot and lower leg in the sink, rinsing it. My colleagues, especially when hearing which boy it was, thought it was hilarious.
    It was a tad bit embarrassing, so I was wondering whether anyone else had any interesting experiment accident stories.
    (Disclaimer: normally I have no issues with what I wear during experiments, in both school and university chemistry labs)
     
  2. I had a bit of a week a few years ago.... on tuesday one lad in year 7 lost several parts of several digits, and on thursday of the same week i exploded copper oxide/mg powder onto my right hand. We both have the scars, i only had two weeks off, he had two months.

    they risk assessed the table he had pulled onto himself as a table...
     
  3. wkclark

    wkclark New commenter

    Today, I found out what safety goggles are for; I had an unknown Year 7 throw a pen at my eye while I was helping another student. Hey presto! Class, you are done with that practical.
    Luckily, pen nor eye was injured.
     
  4. "best" accident I ever had (as a biologist teaching chemistry) was a fire extinguisher demo. Using a buchner glass flask with a solution of washing up liquid and sodium bicarb and a vial of sulphuric acid. When inverted the solution was meant to fizz up and squirt out of the funnel onto the safety scereen in front of the kids. But the flask must have had a flaw and exploded scattering acid, glass and foam all over the room. ... The children all ducked under their desks, and then re-emerged to say !!!! "that was good ! can we do it again?". I was a quivering wreck, but they all loved chemistry ever after.
     
  5. Rhysboy

    Rhysboy New commenter

    Where to start?!?
    My most recent was decomposing hydrogen peroxide with manganese (IV) oxide. I'd diluted the 30% hydrogen peroxide to 6% and the students were using that.
    In one group the hydrogen peroxide was going crazy, bubbling much more than the others, giving off a lot of heat. I couln't think why, until a boy told me that he had gotten his hydrogen peroxide from the jar on my bench (30%!!!). He also had a small skin burn from touching the 30% hydrogen peroxide.
    It was my fault, I had diluted it down and left the 30% container on my desk, rather than putting it back in the store cupboard. I'll never make that mistake again!
     
  6. sparkleghirl

    sparkleghirl Star commenter

    Touch wood, I've had no serious accidents yet.

    A child did once splatter me with acid. Just standard Y8 strength acid, but acid nonetheless. I had told them a million times not to pick the bottles up by the lids, because the lids weren't secure.
    So he picked it up by the lid, the bottle dropped off, bounced of the desk an showered me and my new dark-dyed top. I was thiking more about the bleaching effect than my safety.
    I swore. My street-cred with them went up immeasurably.
     
  7. Orion

    Orion New commenter

    This one is really funny...., top set Y8 doing flower dissection with scalpels, lectured for over 5 minutes on how to not cut themselves with said scalpel. Then one boy came over holding his head with a large cut above the eye dripping blood in a massive trail across the floor. He was then told off for making a mess of the floor. Furthermore it turns out that that it was his twin brother who had done it. It then turns out that one twin stuck the flower stem in the gas tap, his brother bent down to pull it out and whilst he had his head there he managed to get stabbed in the head with the scalpel. Further to this the second twin then fainted as he was told off for hurting his brother!

    Could you make that one up!
     
  8. bogstandardcomp

    bogstandardcomp New commenter

    Another 'early in my teaching career' incident.I saw a video where a balloon was fillled with hydrogen and then ignited with a suitably impressve bang. Great I said and we even had a cylinder of hydrogen. So come 3.30 got a balloon filled it with hydrogen and lit it with a stick and splint at a suitable distance. THE EXPLOSION was HUGE and it left me with a ringing in my ears. Thank god the widows were all open because I'm sure it would have blown some out if they were closed, Another thank god again that I tried it first and not with the class. It was then that I realised why the demo was done in an aircraft hanger, DOH!
     
  9. marshypops

    marshypops New commenter

    This is why I was told always to wear shoes that cover the whole foot - when I was about 11 [​IMG]
    and hence the reason that I "chunter" at girls for wearing "stupid shoes" [​IMG]
    The above will sounds as if I'm having a go - I can assure you I'm not, you're an adult so you wear what you think is appropriate [​IMG]
     
  10. I do this demo, I wear ear protectors, the kids sit far back in a big classroom, and sometimes it sets the fire alarm off. I also do a hydrogen/ oxygen mix for a bigger bang.
     
  11. scienceteacha

    scienceteacha New commenter

    I once had a girl burn through her blazer as she picked up a red hot tripod and 'leant it' against her blazer.
     
  12. I was demonstrating that we exhale carbon dioxide and made a big spiel about not blowing too hard etc then promptly blew the limewater all over myself. My year 8's loved it.
     

Share This Page