1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

There isn't really a solution to this

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by peppermint-tea, Mar 28, 2016.

1. peppermint-tea

peppermint-tea New commenter

This year I have been working in an amazing school on a maternity cover contract. It ends in the summer and it's been confirmed that the teacher I'm covering will be returning to work and that there are no other vacancies. The previous year (my nqt year) I worked in a different school and it was a real nightmare so finding a new job was an exciting prospect. Now the thought of looking for jobs scares me and I'm not motivated at all because I feel like I've found a brilliant school and I don't want to leave!

I think I just need reassurance that there are other good schools out there and I will find another one that's right for me... impossible really!

2. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

There are lots of other lovely schools out there - despite what you read on a lot of the forums here.I work in several schools and like them all. The heads are great, the staff are friendly and supportive and the children are...well, children! Go out there and look for other jobs with a positive spring in your step.I wish you the very best of luck.

CWadd likes this.
  3. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

It's tough when that happens. But people's plans change-she may change her mind/have another baby-either way, make it very clear you'd like to be asked back. Know a few people who did get back into nice schools-one even ended up permanent after a few years!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Get yourself geared up for applying.

Talk to your Head, saying how much you will regret leaving, and asking for their permission to put them as a referee. Say that you will, hopefully, be called for interview, so may need time off for that. N.B. a Head is not obliged to allow you to go to interview, nor pay you if they allow you, but they usually do.

Make sure that you find out about all the job vacancies via TES:

Get the TES Jobs App

How to set up a Job Alert

And get prepared:

Get ready for the application season!

Best wishes

5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I have had several excellent teachers covering maternity leave and often wished I could have kept them on. One thing that I do is email all of my fellow heads in the LA and tell them that I have an excellent teacher who will shortly be leaving us.

That has worked successfully on a number of occasions.

6. missied

missied New commenter

How kind and considerate of you Jesmond12

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, I second that about @Jesmond12 !

Best wishes

Lara mfl 05 and sparklepig2002 like this.
  8. install

install Star commenter

Let the Head know how you feel -or if they are too busy, a Deputy. You never know when the next opportunity will come up.

Also, consider what makes it such a great school for you. Is it so unique? Could there be similar schools out there ?

Good luck ...

9. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I was in a similar position where I was at a lovely school for a one-term temporary (they had already someone for the September, but needed the summer term). Loved it and am still in touch with a few students (now at university and headmistress approval) and colleagues. Had a one-year fixed-term at another school which was very difficult, but in my job search this time last year, looked at what I loved about that first school, and was able to focus on specific aspects, which I think made applications much easier, eg. specific examples for the ES, why I enjoyed teaching within that type of school, etc. That came across in references from that one-term position (and I did ask beforehand, but also thanked the headmistress after I secured my current position). I really like my 'new' school, my colleagues and the academic/pastoral side (it's a girls independent). My husband asked if the first school wanted me back, would I? I would definitely meet up with my colleagues again, but fortunately, I really like my current school.

My advice is take what you like about your current school, look through the jobs here on tes and really do your research, be selective, etc.

Good luck!

Middlemarch likes this.
  10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Excellent!

I get just slightly peeved when I write a reference for a former colleague and then it just disappears into a black hole. :(

Best wishes

Middlemarch likes this.
  11. peppermint-tea

peppermint-tea New commenter

Thank you everyone for your advice! I've found a school that looks like it has very similar values/approach to mine to busy writing my application now :) @TheoGriff your articles have really helped me organise my supporting statement, thank you . xx

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm delighted that these are helping you!

Anyone else wanting to see the whole load of them (120+) come down to Jobseekers and ask me to point you in the right direction.

Best wishes