1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

there is life in the history thread!

Discussion in 'History' started by HistoryEducator, Jun 6, 2020.

1. bookeater

bookeater Occasional commenter

I had a big shock that there were so many new posts in the thread. It has been refreshing reading the questions and replies.

Those teaching hope you are all coping with our new system of education.
    My school has been using an audio system for remote teaching (secondary) as not many families have laptops.
    It is similar to Zoom but just audio a virtual telephone school. All subjects being taught have access codes as do the virtual classrooms. Never thought it would work but it does. lessons can be live then left as a recording or purely recorded. I had to opt for recoded as I am a carer as well as a part-time teacher just doing GCSE Y10/11. Pupils leave me messages and work goes back to school where I go in to mark once there are enough handed in to make it worthwhile.

It is working so well I told my headteacher I never need to come back just put a cardboard cut out of me in the teacher chair and I can continue remote teaching.

2. historyexcel

historyexcel New commenter

I found zoom to be a pretty good system to be honest. I cant help but feel that the technology and the current demands on the education system that have arisen this year are making a stronger case for blended learning than ever before. What surprised me is how many students found it was a system they were able to either maintain their learning through, or extend it. Though certainly not all.

3. bookeater

My worry is how the present Y10 will cope next year and then new Y10 groups.
    I am a minimum of 8 weeks behind in the exam syllabus, then there are students who have fallen down the cracks .....

historyexcel likes this.
  4. historyexcel

Yes I take your point there are students that do not thrive in this environment. However there are also students, at least in my experience, that actually are doing better in this environment than they had been doing at school. I am not sure of the answers, we are all feeling our way. But my point is that we have an opportunity to integrate the lessons of home learning and school learning into a new form of blended learning that 1) takes the advantages of both sytems and b) creates a system that is more robust when it comes to challanges such as long phases of home learning that may well repeat.

The challange is to think what this looks like, and how it might be done. I would welcome any suggestions on this.

HistoryEducator likes this.
  5. bookeater

Another key area that I know is a problem is a space to complete work. To be organized and access lessons when children share spaces.
    I do feel for families who are in hostels or shared accommodation due to homelessness.

6. historyexcel

I absolutely agree that families ending up in temporary accommodation is terrible, and there are a raft of different arguments that attach to these situations some of which fall within the world of education, but many of which fall outside and which should be actioned by other agencies.

That said, and this does sound pretentious but bear with me; learning is an internal space, something can be done wherever, whenever. Work by educationists such as Heppell shows that students and indeed adults learn in a variety of ways and circumstances http://rubble.heppell.net/media_forum/wesley_spaces2.pdf. For example the businessman that works in starbucks and the student that can read whilst sitting on a pavement.

For me the great value of blended learning is that you can access it whenever and wherever you fancy. It is the flexibility that can support a vast array of different learning styles, forced or otherwise that actually aligns better with some student needs than other more formal curriculums.

I am not showing a disregard for students that are homeless, far from it, I am advocating for a system that provides multiple learning pathways to the same end. A person with a phone is a powerful combination https://www.edutopia.org/blog/self-organized-learning-sugata-mitra and a little thoughtful investment in supporting this architecture will pay dividends in the future.

7. bookeater

@historyexcel

I also have issues in pupils who have English as a second language understanding the nuances in the language we use. Especially when it comes to the source analysis work.
    The number of times I think they understand but then with more probing, I realize they didn't. That is where you need to see their faces and look at their answers as they are working. There is no way remote teaching can replace that.

upload_2020-6-7_10-41-55.jpeg

Many years ago we were looking at the above source and it wasn't until the end of the lesson I realised over half the class didn't know the nursery rhyme at all.

8. historyexcel

Well I would estimate that of my students probably 95+% are ESL students. And yes it takes work to ensure they understand, but once you get a method down, they actually will surprise you. Use glossaries, scaffolded tasks, comp tests and so on to track those who are not up to speed. They all seem to help.

I have specific lesson cycle that I have refined over the years to ensure just this. The trick I find is to keep front loading to an absolute minimum and to do nothing really except outline concepts and expectations.

9. bookeater

Out of interest what year groups do you teach?

10. historyexcel

All middle and senior years.

11. bookeater

What topics do you cover for your exam groups?

12. historyexcel

I am a bit different, I teach IB MYP I&S and DP, though I have taught GCSEs, IGCSEs, AS/A Level, NCSS, KS3 etc etc too. So I focus on the e-assessment at the end of year 5 that is more skills driven than content, arguably. And which also does not have prescriptive content in the same way that the KS curriculum does. So the topics I teach are not confined to history but also include Economics and Geography. So history wise I design and teach the following as assessment topics in the final 2 years (equivilent to GCSE).

Why do individuals form social groups?
    Why are empires formed?
    How do empires work?
    How do empires fall?
    What impact do humans have on natural environments?
    How has our perspective changed now?