1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

There is hope!

Discussion in 'Education news' started by eljefeb90, Feb 16, 2019.

1. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Blimey! Things were getting even worse at my old place. Very heavy-handed SLT . Staff very stressed, several off with WRS. Data based targets still in use, lots of staff on 'support' plans with regular learning walks. All in all, a n oppressive atmosphere with staff leaving in droves.
    Guess what, NASUWT and NEU got together and called for 5 days of strike action. After the first day, the Head caved in. Learning walks suspended, targets to be discussed again with no data involved. Support plans suspended and even an admission that there had been intimidation of staff.
    10 years too late, but it just goes to show...

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Just discovered our place is using data to evaluate lessons... so did my lesson... all confident and assured, very happy with it. Got RI because I've been too conservative in my data for the last 6 months.

Well lesson learned... I'll be entering more ambitious data in the future.

Maybe our Unions will grow a pair as well. Best of luck to you.

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

in what way?

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Using progress against target grades. Insufficient progress equals poor lesson rating.

And I've been naturally conservative in my data. Though if they'd seen me with another class it'd have been a lot better as my progress was higher.

thekillers1 and agathamorse like this.
  5. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Good on them. I've started attending union district meetings. We have no union reps in any of our trust schools. Which is odd, because there were definitely reps before they became academies...

Also, there's erm... No recognition agreement with the main unions so I presume they're not consulted on the policies when we receive updates with "Following consultation with the board and unions, this policy has been updated to make it easier to sack you." and so on.

6. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Re:

Please expand.

Any idea how this happened?

Did staff bombard the unions, or did the unions get wind of what was happening (noticing the number of staff on support plans, etc.) and approach staff?

7. eljefeb90

Staff bombarded unions. The school has a bad reputation amongst staff locally for bullying management and local officials joined the dots and called an off site meeting. Management were approached but refused to budge so a ballot was called , and approved, in favour of strike action.
    Even though I am now retired, I attended the picket . Surprisingly, parents who showed up were either inquisitive or supportive. There were no negative comments that I heard of. The union officials commented on this and were surprised by it.

8. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Which part of the UK?

9. eljefeb90

Don't want to be too specific, but West Midlands.

thekillers1 likes this.
  10. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

The place I'm currently at (as long-term supply) appears to be heading towards the hell-hole status as described above. However I can't see the staff doing anything more than whinging a lot and then going along with the latest injustice anyway.
    I can easily see the unions stepping up in this scenario but I can't see how the staff would do anything positive on their part.

I'm wondering about trying to kick off the staff myself. It's a nice school at the moment but I can see SLT ruining it if they're not checked. Does anyone have any experience of getting the down-trodden to throw off their shackles etc... with a rallying cry of "Things are a bit sh it now and it'll get worse"?

Alice K likes this.
  11. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

You can easily see it? Based on...what, exactly?

Listen, when the unions go to staff and say “We know you’re being treated badly (clearly, the unions know there’s a school-wise problem before anyone else), so we’re going to ask if you want to do something about it”, and the staff say “no”, you’ll have a point.

Look, we all know how bad things are. So what makes you think the unions don’t.

I know places where it’s appalling, staff bullied, on ‘plans’, and the unions reps are involved time and time again, but the unions NEVER approach staff.

Staff are afraid to speak out loud at meetings (there are always plants), but the unions don’t have the gumption to hold an anonymous staff survey.

As I say, when they do, and people duck, you’ll have a point. Until then, the unions just aren’t doing their job.

Simple as that.

12. eljefeb90

When nearly 50% of the staff are on some sort of action plan, another 10% are seriously struggling with stress / off sick and every classroom teacher is subject to imposed targets and regular, excessive EOL dropins, there comes a time when even the cowed and fear stricken decide to do something other than moan, that it's better to die on your feet than live on your knees.It'll be North Korea next.

PeterQuint and Alice K like this.
  13. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Yep. Similar happened in a school near me and similar is happening in another school. Local union pages can be brilliant for finding out about these things!

14. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Firstly it is good to see than unions can be effective when the staff feel things have got so bad that a meeting off site managed to gather honest opinion. Secondly those off site meetings already exist they are called local regional union meetings which the school rep. would have posted on the school notice board. Now I know academies do their utmost to force unions out, usually by targeting the reps. but if things are really bad then these things can be accessed through the regional representative. Things are clearly not that bad yet, except in some schools.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  15. tardis

tardis New commenter

I've sent you a private conversation

16. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

ALL staff need to work collectively in order to support their unions and each other.

eljefeb90 likes this.
  17. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

What do you mean "been too Conservative with the data?"

18. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

W
    We have been told we are not allowed to put a lower grade than has already been posted onto SIMS. If you do then your ability ity/professionalism is called into question and you are staring at a "support" plan. So naturally everyone marks high schieving grades down till the end of the year when you have a better picture.

Problem is you can then get accused that they are under performing.