1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

There is hope

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by xshellbellex, Feb 11, 2011.

1. I've had quite a good week on the work front, my usual 3 days a week long term contract and two half days, best week yet.

And just to finish my week off a head of year has asked me to take over a form as the cover supervisor who is doing it can't cope. The conversation went along the lines of
    'He isn't a qualified teacher so the kids are walking all over him, they need someone with a firmer hand'

After one day they are already sitting quietly whilst I take the register and listening to notices. A great bunch of kids.

Just great to hear that my experience as a teacher is being noticed for once

2. My last three weeks have been better-offers of day-to-day work on 11 out of 15 days.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Well done! Let's hop it's a sign of the times.
    I've noticed already that my LA agency no longer seem to have enough CS on their books to cover requests at even better-than-average schools. If schools are now feeling negative effects from having employed CSs to save money, perhaps the tide will slowly turn back in our favour.
    I managed a 2 hour booking at a really good school today. I got paid more for those 2 lessons than I'd have earned all day elsewhere as a CS, so it's confirmed my determination to resist the begging calls offering CS work at the last minute.
    One of the department teachers expressed surprise at my handover notes for the bottom set I'd just taught. They were absolutely no problem at all and just needed losts of individual attention to prime them for tackling the questions about their set text. I think that the permanent staff have become distanced from just how bad bottom sets can be in challenging schools. For me it was a 'walk in the park' and I knew that they had learned something at the end of the lesson. Fingers crossed that they'll ask me back!