1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

There is a happy ever after.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by cshanks, Mar 13, 2012.

1. cshanks

cshanks New commenter

Felt like I should post my story on here as when I was really struggling I looked on here a lot from advice and guidance. I had a difficult first two terms as an NQT, was at a very unsupportive school and took the decision to leave after two terms as the deemed I was not meeting the standards. I then spent 4 terms trying to find work whilst having the uncertainty of doing supply. I eventually after many interviews managed to secure a years post at a local school. I have since successfully completed my NQT year and have now been offered a permaent contract. I could not be happier in the school I am in. It is very difficult but we are very well supported and given the recognition for the work we do. I honestly feel that the two years of uncertainty and working harder to get this position have made me a better teacher.
    For all those people still looking, doubting if they can do it.
    There are HAPPY EVER AFTERS. It sometimes just takes a bit of time.

Good luck everyone.

2. cshanks

cshanks New commenter

Felt like I should post my story on here as when I was really struggling I looked on here a lot from advice and guidance. I had a difficult first two terms as an NQT, was at a very unsupportive school and took the decision to leave after two terms as the deemed I was not meeting the standards. I then spent 4 terms trying to find work whilst having the uncertainty of doing supply. I eventually after many interviews managed to secure a years post at a local school. I have since successfully completed my NQT year and have now been offered a permaent contract. I could not be happier in the school I am in. It is very difficult but we are very well supported and given the recognition for the work we do. I honestly feel that the two years of uncertainty and working harder to get this position have made me a better teacher.
    For all those people still looking, doubting if they can do it.
    There are HAPPY EVER AFTERS. It sometimes just takes a bit of time.

Good luck everyone.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Thanks ever so much for posting that to encourage others who may be struggling.
    Yes it is possible to turn things around with appropriate support and having somewhere one feels comfortable-that's why the interview and getting the feel of a school is so important to everybody getting the best out of each other.

4. catherine_ann

catherine_ann Occasional commenter

I too have found my happy ever after school :) I was lucky enough to complete my NQT at my placement school, on a temp contract which was not extended. I was then on supply from Sept 2011. During this time I started applying further afield and was getting lots of interviews but no job offers, until the last day of October half term when I was appointed to a two term temp contract. This took me 19 interviews to get! So there is hope out there! I have since been reinterviewed and appointed on a permanent basis starting in September 2012. The school completely fits with where I imagined myself teaching, and allows me to use my skills to contribute to extracurricular activities which I was unable to do in my NQT year. I feel I have certainly found my school :). Good luck to others xx