1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

There has never been a better time to be a teacher

Discussion in 'Education news' started by monicabilongame, Oct 9, 2015.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

"Speaking at a fringe event organised by thinktank ResPublica at the Conservative Party conference in Manchester, Mr Gibb trumpeted opportunities now on offer to teachers and what he argued was an elevated status enjoyed by the classroom workforce as a result of his party’s reforms."

“This government is on the side of teachers, giving them the freedom to teach as they see best. And we will return teaching to be the pre-eminent profession. More top graduates are coming into teaching and I believe the prestige of the teaching profession is increasing,” he said.

https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...-gibb-there-has-never-been-a-better-time-be-a

snowyhead likes this.
  2. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

Definitely! ;)

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Amazing. Can someone let me know when this starts to happen? It will give me something to look forward to.

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  4. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

The early 1980s were pretty good times to be a teacher, I remember

cissy3, marlin and catmother like this.
  5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Why do they keep this lie going that teachers are free to teach whatever way they think best?
    Still constrained by exams and management trying to second guess ofsted,

cissy3 and snowyhead like this.
  6. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

kibosh, fineliner and monicabilongame like this.
  7. fineliner

fineliner Occasional commenter

Well said, Mr Harris.

snowyhead likes this.
  8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I arrived in Scotland,in a small town,as a "French assistant" in the early 80s and shared a house with some young teachers. A fair few young teachers were in other shared houses and they all seem to spend lots of evenings (even during the week) down the local pubs (where older pupils could be seen too). I don't remember them working evenings or even seeing them doing any marking at home.

bostonbill1982 likes this.
  9. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

My first teaching job whole departments used to go to the pub on a Friday lunchtime (AND it was a catholic school....!!)

bostonbill1982, cissy3 and emerald52 like this.
  10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I must have done something very bad at some time. Our previous house was in the borough that has one M Gove as it!s MP. Then we moved- now we have N Gibb! Woe is me!

sabrinakat likes this.
  11. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

What he said.....:)

12. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

In my first job, I used to go for a walk at lunchtime, to reflect on the morning and get my head ready for the afternoon.

bostonbill1982 likes this.
  13. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Yep. LIke that in my first job too. 1 hr 15 mins for lunch and a couple of pints before lessons in the afternoon. Marvellous!

Maybe Mr Gibb thinks it's such a good time to be a teach due to the large number of vacancies?!

sabrinakat likes this.
  14. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Hilarious! I wonder how long these top new graduates will last in the profession. My guess is as soon as that nice big bursary runs out.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  15. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Oh dear, oh dear! What on Earth can we say about this. It is so depressing that some people are so out of touch with the real world.

16. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

If your children are cocooned in the private system it is no wonder.

17. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Has to be a lot of the problem.

18. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Full marks for that HT in sticking his neck out.

BUT ... BUT .... the focus of his complaint is that the "profession" is being attacked, rather than education is not being well addressed.

Other grievances he lists refer mainly to who "owns" education.

e.g.
    "My views on academies, free schools, lack of funding, assessment, Ofsted, pay rises, curriculum reform and the demise of local authorities will, of course, be different to yours.."

This is classical Guardianista stuff. Decades of the left being blasé about education - only caring about its "ownership" and terms of employment - have helped create the current educational climate.

19. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

cissy3 and snowyhead like this.
  20. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

If you're referring to previous Labour government education policies, they were only in power for thirteen years prior to the Conservative takeover in 2010 - hardly decades.

Michael Gove, in his role as SoS for Education did more to demolish education in this country than any other SoS before him. Not only did he lay the foundations for a two-tier state education system (LA schools vs academy chains and free schools) he put into place the process that would allow schools to sack teachers within a term, based on the subjective evidence of lesson observations. In many cases (see Workplace Dilemmas) just one or two lesson observations graded as 'requires improvement' by one person provide enough evidence to lever a teacher from post.

monicabilongame likes this.