1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

There but for the grace of.....

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Skeoch, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

2. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

"... a member of staff mistakenly opened an email ..."

I hope he or she isn't taking the rap for this. I had confidence when I ran my own network that users could do nothing that would endanger more than their own files and workstation. In my current school at least, the extent and quality of technical support has diminished severely in recent years and I have much less confidence. All the same, I don't think I could permanently destroy a whole cohort's work however malicious my intent and certainly not by accident.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Let's hope that their disaster recovery plans were in place and can be activated successfully. Meanwhile we all need to check that ours are OK......
    I wonder if it's the result of one of these green/blue button emails that ask the recipient to click the button to read the email/invoice/whatever?

4. PersianCatLady

PersianCatLady New commenter

It all sounds very odd doesn't it?

Only one subject's GCSE coursework was lost, surely it is a simple case of restoring the back up to the network or another network after the initial cyber attack had been dealt with??

If I had a client with a PC locked due to ransomware (which I have done in my previous life), I would Factory Restore the PC and restore the back up.

The client leaves their PC with you for a few days and dealing with it doesn't involve very much actual work.

But the best thing is that once they have the PC back and their data back as it was (or within a week) you can charge them a price that they are happy with and that is rewarding to you for watching (or not watching) a PC set itself up.

Sorry, gone off topic there (slightly) but why can't this school restore the GCSE coursework in the same way??

5. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

I suspect that there wasn't a backup system. It looks as if this coursework was saved separately to the rest of the school's data for some reason, so it's escaped from the safety net.

6. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

I wonder if my experiences of network managers and technicians is typical? In recent years I've found that the good ones move on quickly and their replacements are flat-out trying to understand the systems they inherit to keep them working. They don't always succeed. Furthermore, they are now responsible to non-teaching management structures and their priorities are naturally focused to their bosses needs.

The result? Virtually non-existent support for students, teachers and the curriculum. The finance data gets backup up but the students' work doesn't.

I logged on with a guest account in a neighboring school and found I could read all the students' files. I did't try a write or delete, I just logged out in disgust.

Our the Head of Geography deciding that the only way to manage coursework was to save to USB flash drives.

When I ran my network I frequently had to ply the site team with bribes to let me stay late or come in over the weekend. Our support staff work to the clock. Oh, and why shouldn't they? The team had been reduced and they know that it is quite impossible to do everything that needs doing. No point in trying.

It is only a matter of time until we have a disaster.

Are my experiences typical?

7. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

I once worked at a school that had the Network Manager from hell. Although on paper, he knew what he was doing, talked the talk and could do the basics it was only when the entire network went down and we bought in network consultants that we discovered he hadn't implemented the back-up procedures we had in place or checked that the back-ups were actually being taken and done test restores on the network provided for that purpose, a disciplinary and dismissal matter. Apart from the students' work, the entire admin network was down for over two weeks, and had to be restored with out-of-date data and cost us a fortune. I'd had enough by then after trying to support him for over two years, sending him on courses etc. After taking formal action on him, he went sick and pulled the race card, accusing us all of being racist, prolonging the problems for the school. In the end, we paid him just to be shot of him and gave him a reference, and I heard he moved to a school in deepest Warwickshire.

I regularly say a prayer for them.