1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

There but for the grace of God?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by magic surf bus, Jan 9, 2012.

1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Last Thursday morning a man called Roger, aged 52, had a heart attack in a residential street. He was driving a truck at the time, and as he lost control the truck ploughed into two parked cars and a camper van, demolished a wall and ruptured a gas main. The camper van was shoved into a bus shelter, which had only been vacated a few minutes earlier. Roger's heart attack was fatal. Fortunately, Roger's truck swerved to the right, across the opposite lane of traffic. Had he swerved left he would have ploughed into the bus stop where my youngest daughter was standing on her own, momentarily distracted by getting something out of her bag. When his truck hit the first parked car directly opposite her bus stop my daughter got one of the biggest shocks of her young life, and it left her very shaky for some time afterwards. We will never know if Roger was trying to avoid hitting my daughter, the only person visible in the street, or if things were too far gone by then and it was pure luck. Either way, we are most thankful that things happened the way they did. By some odd coincidence Roger was the same age as me, and it's no age to go like that.

It makes you think doesn't it?

I wondered if anyone else has had (or heard of) any near miss moments like that?

2. T34

T34 Established commenter

Unfortunately, No.

3. It's great to hear your daughter is OK but I think not by the grace of God- I know it's just a phrase, but it suggests that God has more grace for some than for others- and I am sure we have all lost someone that we have thought went before their time and God's grace wasn't there for them. Some believe your day is already decided. Some say the angels chose to take you, but then God's grace (supposedly) saves others. I know it's not important but it's just one of those phrases that bother me.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Trust your daughter has got over her scare now msb
    and seren_dipity I cannot believe the ignorance of any emergency service which suggest a person suffering a potential heart attack should be at the wheel of a car - just to get them to a & E!

5. learningyoghurt

learningyoghurt New commenter

Technically (much though I hate to quibble), I understand that one of the points about the concept of God's grace is that it's handed out randomly and undeservedly. I agree that it doesn't seem fair, but theologically speaking I think it's fairly accurate.

I recently found out that an old school friend of mine has MS. I know it's less dramatic but it did make me think about how strange and arbitrary life can be.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My choice of thread title was simply playing on an old phrase, it wasn't an indication of religious conversion. Certainly not after last year's events anyway. Of course I'm grateful that I don't have to attend a third family funeral in less than a year, but I'm not over keen to ascribe my daughter's good fortune to some deity or other.

7. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Luck, I am not even sure it exists. And fate, that is way too barmy an idea. We were walking down a wooded valley during the storms last week and a chunk of tree landed in the river just ahead of us. It would have killed an elephant. But it didn't. It just made a big splash. Were we lucky to see it? Lucky to survive? Lucky to be out walking in wild weather?
    I am glad your lass was okay though.

8. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Our good friend arrived at kings cross by train for a meeting just after the tube bomb went off. He was hurried out of the station by police and hurded onto a bus, the bus infront of the bus that blew up.

9. Marshall

Marshall Established commenter

It all makes you think...
    Just before Christmas I drove on the same road as I do every morning to work - no problems. Children who are collected by taxi from along the same road were held up for a couple of hours by a fatal car crash - just 2 or 3 minutes after I had gone by.

10. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I had forgotten those parrafin heaters
    all sitting round one on a winters nightthey were excellent
    [​IMG]
    I was lucky not to set my bum on fire

11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

You could take an empty pop bottle to a hardware shop and get it filled.

12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

When ii was selling our house 30 odd years ago, with toddler in tow, I showed a chap around who said he wouldn't look upstairs but would return in the evening with his wife,

He then went down the road to another house for sale and committed a horrible violent crime.

13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

As a young man of 17 i was driving my motor bike, doing about 80 MPH on a bypass near Southport.I had my girlfriend of the time on the back.
    As i went along i heard a voice in my head..no not her nagging, and it told me to slow down
    i did rapidly....and suddenly i had a front tyre puncture which would have been disasterous at speed.especially as we didnt wear crash hats in those days.

14. My mother did burn her bottom on a paraffin heater! When I was young, we lived in a house with a very small bathroom and lavatory combined. Before the blessed days of central heating, prior to any of us taking a bath, we put a paraffin stove in the room half an hour before hand to warm it up. The heater was usually tucked away under the wash basin. One night, my mother 'reversed' onto the top grill of the heater (a Valor Viceroy, or something like that) with calorifically painful result.
    Another paraffin heater we had at home was called something like the 'Lion Glow', which my father would kick, just for the fun of it, as doing so caused an Hiroshima-like pall of flame to rise, momentarily, almost to the ceiling.
    Burning a hydrocarbon like paraffin produced prodigious amounts of water vapour, which them would condense on the windows forming little lakes on the window shelves, causing them to rot, as well as causing huge damp patches to appear on the landing wallpaper, ultimately causing it peel off from the top. Although you did not notice it when you were in the house, if you came back in from outside, the pungeunt reek of paraffin fumes was overpowering.
    I had a small heater, which I lit in my bedroom, just before we sat down to dinner, in the evening. By the time the meal was over, the room would be warm enough for me to my homework. How I managed the Georgics while suffering from incipient carbon monoxide poisoning surprises me still!

15. If anyone has read what I have just written, concerning paraffin heaters, they might be wondering, given the subject matter of some of my other postings, whether any 'sport' could be had by breaking wind down the chimney of a paraffin stove. See my account above of my mother's misfortunate contact with a lighted heater if you need convincing of the extraordinary care necessary when proffering one's posterior in close proximity to hot metal when positioning to deliver the 'gaseous charge'. Nevertheless, with the 'wind in the right direction', a momentary yellowing of the usually blue coloured flame could be observed, accompanied by a dull but audibly amusing 'popping' sound.

16. Many years ago when I was a teenager my Dad was commissioned to instal turbines into a power station in the far east. My Dad, Mum, brother and I had tickets for a BOAC flight. Fortunatly my brother got mumps, the doctor said that he could not fly so all plans were cancelled. My parents had sold up and we were living with my grandparents. On the day of the flight that we should have been on we watched the news and saw that it had crashed into Mt Fuji killing everone. Think it was more 'what will be will be' rather than a God thing. It is on the internet if anyone wants to see it.