1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

There are so many teachers in the world, surely someone must feel the same as me!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by rach.elizabeth, Jan 19, 2011.

1. I'm an NQT starting my second term and I feel pretty dreadful. I feel like a terrible teacher, i feel like the kids are going to do terribly for having me and the finger will point. I feel like i'm doing everything wrong, teaching them the wrong stuff and like every lesson is bordering unsatisfactory. I'm all too good at comparing myself to others who spend their entire weekends and most evening working solidly, but i just can't do that. I work about 8.15 - 6 most days and then some evenings as well, must i devote my whole weekends as well? I got married in the summer - i think if i worked as much as i feel pressured to then i'll be divorced by next summer.

If i'm not prepared to work unreasonable hours, putting my health and well-being at risk, does that make me a bad teacher? I'm not sure i can commit to that kind of deal. I've been feeling pretty low and upset about it this week, and not really sure who to talk to. Can anyone sympathise?

2. I'm an NQT starting my second term and I feel pretty dreadful. I feel like a terrible teacher, i feel like the kids are going to do terribly for having me and the finger will point. I feel like i'm doing everything wrong, teaching them the wrong stuff and like every lesson is bordering unsatisfactory. I'm all too good at comparing myself to others who spend their entire weekends and most evening working solidly, but i just can't do that. I work about 8.15 - 6 most days and then some evenings as well, must i devote my whole weekends as well? I got married in the summer - i think if i worked as much as i feel pressured to then i'll be divorced by next summer.

If i'm not prepared to work unreasonable hours, putting my health and well-being at risk, does that make me a bad teacher? I'm not sure i can commit to that kind of deal. I've been feeling pretty low and upset about it this week, and not really sure who to talk to. Can anyone sympathise?

3. Going to give you a virtual shake **shake**
    STOP feeling guilty! There are many times when all of us at some point feel like we are **** at our job and ruining childrens' lives/educations/etc. The fact that there are times when it really bothers you shows that you do care about the job that you are doing and want to do the best for the children you teach.
    That doesn't necessarily mean that to be the best you have to work every single hour under the sun. Nobody will thank you for it, nobody will give you a medal for it, it will only run you down and wear you out. I do my school work in school and that is where it stays. Occasionally I may do some stuff at home if absolutely essential. Does it make me a bad teacher? No.
    Work to live, don't live to work.

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Are you Seondary? Hang in there. It's always manic this term and we feel exhausted after just a week or two. It calms down after Easter.

5. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

* Secondary

6. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I feel the same - I almost quit over Christmas! I work 7.45 til 5 and if I even get to the loo in the day I feel lucky! I work at home too (though less so now as I need some quality time with my son), I feel like to be able to do the job really well I should ne giving an awful lot more, yet dont feel I have any more to give in time or energy!!!

7. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I was working a lot last year during my NQT but made a pact with myself this academic year to do enough, but not stress myself out. I have found that doing less work (for example, not spending hours creating resources from scratch or all-singing, all-dancing IWB things) has not really impacted on what the children are learning. They are equally likely to learn how to do division if I put the date and LO on the board in front of them, or if I spend ages making it look pretty beforehand.
    So don't feel guilty. If you know that everything that needs to be done is done and feel that your children are learning, then you can't ask more than that. Teachers, like everyone else, need their own life. Why do we always think otherwise?!

8. I have felt exactly the same since Christmas - and I ended last term feeling really good about how I was doing!! You do need a break, and working those hours should be plenty to get the job done - don't compare to others who brag about how long it takes them.
    As for feeliung like your students are getting the wrong things and your lessons are unsatisfactory, this is an area you can actually look at the information you have and check it proves you wrong!!