1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Therapy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Sam_Bow, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Therapy, counselling, CBT..
    I'm considering it, but I don't really know. My doctor suggested it repeatedly ten years ago, but an 18 year old me didn't want to talk to anyone, never mind a stranger.
    Truth is, I have no idea what I would say. Or if I would say anything. Or if I would end up making stuff up so I felt like I wasn't wasting their time. I just know that I can't spend the rest of my life feeling like this.
    I know it is a very personal thing, but does anyone have any stories to share?

2. moggycat

moggycat New commenter

I'm sorry I don't, but I think you must at least give it a go. If you don't like the first person you go to, don't give up! Good luck xxx

3. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

I have no experience of it personally but I know several who have. Majority have found it very helpful, a couple didn't like it but still felt it was of some help.
    As you said it's a very personal thing.

Good luck what ever you decide.

:eek:)

4. In my experience the biggest struggle is shutting people up who started the hour by saying "I don't know why I'm here really, I'm rubbish at talking to strangers..."
    Go along, give the counsellor a trial run, and just see how it goes. You may be surprised.

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'd say do it.

6. Get a cat. You can offload any time you like without repercussion or expense.

7. I can't recommend counselling highly enough. My school organised NLP for me a few years ago when I was struggling with chronic insomnia and was dragging myself into school for months on end having only had 4 hours sleep.
    I still have my moments, but I feel tons better, and it's probably saved my relationship as well.
    I would say give it a go.