1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ther very Hungry Caterpillar activity ideas?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by abikirkman, Aug 23, 2009.

1. abikirkman

abikirkman New commenter

Hello I am doing the Very Hungry Caterpillar with children aged 4-6yrs and differing needs mainly PMLD I have a few ideas for activties but any ideas would be apreciated to go with the story.

Also as i read the book i usually like to have the children partcipating throughout, not just me reading the book. but i only have a few ideas, could you help here too?
    I was thinking of ending with a butterfly song, any ideas of a nice butterfly song?

Any ideas would be great thanks!

2. abikirkman

abikirkman New commenter

Hello I am doing the Very Hungry Caterpillar with children aged 4-6yrs and differing needs mainly PMLD I have a few ideas for activties but any ideas would be apreciated to go with the story.

Also as i read the book i usually like to have the children partcipating throughout, not just me reading the book. but i only have a few ideas, could you help here too?
    I was thinking of ending with a butterfly song, any ideas of a nice butterfly song?

Any ideas would be great thanks!

3. I've no experience of children with PMLD but perhaps you could adapt the following ideas to suit?
    *Fruit and veg tasting
    *Painting large versions of each food for a wall display
    *Make the Very Hungry Caterpillar from a variety of textured materials - again for a wall display, but encourage the children to feel each section of the caterpillar
    *Make a large butterfly to hang from a corner and the ceiling, so that it appears to be flying - again use different textures, painted sections, etc.
    *Using two strips of cardboard as a cross, make a mobile of each food eaten by the VHC
    *Encourage the children to count along with the book - maybe hold up large numbers and have the children repeat?
    *Use a 'Days of the Week' chart to show when and what the VHC ate
    *Have a simple colour wheel and ask the children to place plastic fruits (or pictures/photos) onto the correct colour

4. ********** has some lovely resources such as a simple board game & colourful cards you could use for sequencing activities.
    http://www.**********.co.uk/cll/story/

5. I made a caterpillar out of small green cushions each velcroed onto the other. When i told the story the children had a sample of the food he ate (could discuss healthy and 'unhealthy' food ) and then stuck on a segment to make the caterpillar grow. I made a cocoon (with a secret compartment at one end) - by the end of the story the caterpillar had grown enormously and we counted the segments and then all the group helped stuff him into the cocoon. The popper button was shut and then i open the comprtment and the beautiful butterfly emerged. It was all scrunched up - but when unforlded there were different colours and textures we could feel.
    I also did it as an assembly where we painted HUGE pieces of fruit of lining paper. Each child wore green and sat behind it. The head of the caterpillar (another child complete with feeley boppers!) poked a hole through the painting and when they came out another child joined onto the back (conga style) - it was very effective.
    We made a collage of different materials, but also changed some of the food he ate and then had "smell bags" attached so the other children could guess what he had eaten (or the sensory experience of it) eg - chocolate, lemon essence, marmite!!
    There is a lovely song to the tune of She will be coming round the mountain" ( and you can sign or do appropriate actions)- and goes
    !. There's a tiny caterpillar on a leaf - wiggle wiggle
    there's a tiny caterpillar on a leaf - wiggle wiggle
    there's a tiny cater - pillar
    tiny cater - pillar
    tiny caterpillar on a leaf - wiggle wiggle

2. He will eat the leaves around him till he's full - munch munch
    etc

3. A cocoon is what he's spinning for his home - spin spin
    etc.

4. Then he'll be a butterfly and fly away - flap flap

(Its in the Bobby Shaftoe book)
    Good luck with your topic[​IMG]

6. hi,
    I've just sorted out some resources from **********, and another website called kizclub and have sequencing pictures, story props, days of the week cards, cards for retelling the story, writing mats, lifecycle of the butterfly, art activities such as symmetry with paint blobs for butterflies, song from bbceebies "caterpillars only crawl" Check out the crayola site for art ideas. And just google Very hungry caterpillar resources and see what comes up!!

7. nearly_there

nearly_there New commenter

Hi

I used the ********** picture resources they are really excellent. We also had the story sack that goes with this story but you could easily make something similar without spending all the money.
    We also did -
    * Picture match the fruits using plastic food. We also emphasised the makaton symbols for each fruit.
    * Work around the days of the week
    * Made butterfly pictures by drawing around our hands to make the wings then decorating the wings with finger painting.
    * Made caterpillars coming out of their cocoons (toilet rolls) and followed the story with them.
    * Tasted the food in the story and picked our favorites (linked to maths for our more able).
    * Made a class explaination text about the life cycle of a butterfly. It can be as simple or complicated as you need. You could create a class interactive clicker/switch book or cut and stick or poster or 3D model book. Loads of different ways of doing it that will suit the needs of your children.
    * Made a mobile with each stage of the caterpillar on it.
    There are loads of other arty ideas if you google Very Hungry Caterpillar.