1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

theory

Discussion in 'Music' started by jonowen, Mar 23, 2011.

1. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

I am tearing my hair out and need help! I despair of the lack of theory I am expected to teach and KNOW that my Higher and Advanced Higher pupils would be better off with good old-fashoined AB Grade 4+5 standard of theory. I will have a very good group next year and refuse to let them down. I tried to make up my own workbooks last summer hols but it was so time consuming I gave up (plus my Sibelius was playing up and I wasted loads of time and effort). I am prepared to buy workbooks but feel there is too much to cover in AB - is TC a better idea? I will not be photocopying anything - are there any free resources available?
    Thanks again for any advice!
    [​IMG]

2. How about the white cgp book? It does theory and GCSE topics

3. I use the Dorothy Dingle book - it is fantastic. 100% success rate so far.

4. You might take a look at the Grades 1 to 5 workbooks in Josephine Koh's "Practice in Music Theory" series. More expensive than the ABRSM workbooks but much better structured and with more useful hints - and a wider range of exercises at each grade.

5. We used to try to whizz through a couple of graded workbooks in Y12 but this proved impossible. We are now pushing theory down the school and I think that's the way to go for us. Pupils like the achievement and parents don't mind the pressure (I keep saying this is the foundation for A level and that seems to do the trick). Grade 1 2 or 3 we did in Y11 two years ago is now in Y10 and next term I shall round up all the Y9s who have opted for GCSE and make it clear they will sit gd 1 or 2 in the Nov session of Y10. My colleague is planning a full-on theory SoW next term for some of his Y8 classes. This will be fun but will also cover everything in gd 1 and for some pupils gd 2 and gd 3 - permitting more exam entries in Nov 2011. Problem with musictheory.net is 1. the Americanisms and 2. uneven progression. There is some stuff on BBC Bitesize and there's interesting material advertised in the back of Music Teacher magazine. Let me know if you want some of our resources.