1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Theo... @theogriff new to applying, help with finding the E.S / completing the application!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by cornishmaiden, Mar 5, 2016.

1. cornishmaiden

cornishmaiden New commenter

@TheoGriff can you help a rusty applicant? o_O
    After teaching in the same school for 7 years finally looking to move on... very out of touch with application forms it seems!

No mention of an E.S in the app form...just a box that is titled ' Your supporting statement' and a brief description along the lines of .. 'refer to the job spec and outline how your own experience matches this.'

No request for a supporting statement/covering letter etc that I can see anywhere.

My initial thoughts were to use this box to bullet point in response to job spec(in similar style to E.S) and then attach a letter to head expanding on all this, if that makes sense!

many thanks in advance to anyone who can help/suggest!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Ah, the good old days! After 7 years of not applying, not being interviewed, you will find things changed. :)

No, there never is. They don't ever ask for it, but it is nonetheless very useful.

Why you should always include an E.S. in an application

Yes, although actually fitting in an E.S. makes it look neater.

Blank E.S. Pro-forma for job applications

I assume that you have found the rest of the applications advice? Including:

Person Spec too long - how do I do an E.S.? And where do I put it?

Letter of application for a teaching job

Best wishes

3. cornishmaiden

Thank you very much @TheoGriff , yes I'd found the other bits, all so helpful when you are out of touch!! :)
    If I was to add an ES separately what would I then use this 'Your supporting statement' box for?
    Apologies if I am being dim or have missed it in the other advice!
    Is the most common practice now to complete and ES and then a 2 page-ish statement?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

What would have been your letter of application, (but without the Dear Dr Griffiths and the addresses!).

Yes, where possible.

2 pages max please - and proper sized font and margins.

Best wishes

5. cornishmaiden

Great :) So just to clarify (I do apologise for me repetitiveness!!!)
    Even though this 'supporting statement' box is halfway through the application form I'm still better off to fill that with the 2 page expanded bit and then add the ES somewhere else convenient?
    I think its my not-used-to-it self that's doubting myself!
    Will go and get to it now! thanks again @TheoGriff

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck!

7. cornishmaiden

@TheoGriff I got an interview!!
    Thanks v much!!
    Now what's next?! Haha its a minefield! Off to brush up and need some ideas for a my lesson..

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done @cornishmaiden !

Interviews advice: I have included here links that may not be relevant to you, for the benefit of other posters.

3. Preparing for Interview I suggest that you read these in this order

Does calling for a reference mean that you've been shortlisted for interview? ***NEW ***

Help, I've got an interview! *** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews *** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question? *** Read and note this ***

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

On here we have a very nice tradition that when you actually get a job, you started a brand-new thread (not adding it to this one - a brand-new thread) where you told us your good news. You call it Dear Theo - I got that job! and this gives everyone a chance to congratulate you. It also gives them hope and inspiration for their own jobseeking, to see you successful.

Make sure you congratulate someone when you see a thread like that!

So I will end by saying that we look forward to seeing your Dear Theo - I got that job!

Best wishes