1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Theo - Past experiences on my international CV?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rossodonnell, Dec 31, 2010.

1. <font size="2">Hi Theo et al,</font><font size="2">I have read some excellent information on here about CV writing and my CV is coming along nicely. </font><font size="2">One question that I wasn't sure about was whether or not to include my previous employment history. I am in my late 20&rsquo;s and have been teaching for 3 years. I have 4 years between completing my degree and starting my PGCE so was wondering if I need to account for this time?</font> <font size="2">I know from jobs in other sectors that gaps in your CV look bad and whilst I am proud of what I achieved in that time, it doesn&rsquo;t necessarily relate to teaching and therefore I&rsquo;m not sure whether to put it on my CV. </font>
    Thanks in advance for your help and happy new year to everyone.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hmn!
    If you have read here advice on CV writing, then you should have read the main CV advice, which is:
    Don't waste your time writing a CV
    For 3 or 4 years now the government had advised schools that they should NOT ask applicants for a CV, but get them to fill in a standard application form.
    So, don't write one!
    However, on an application form there will be a space for you to give your career and study history. Basically a CV . . . It is important, absolutely essential, that you account for all your time since completing your degree. This is for Chils Protecting/Safeguarding purposes. Include months, not just years. Give very brief details of non-teaching posts. You are right not to ignore them, but don't go overboard.
    Sept 1998 - May 2002. Assistant Planner then Departmental Planner, Swindon Borough Council.
    Something clear and concise like that.
    I would suggest that you read the Welcome thread Shortlisting clickables, to give you general advice on writing an application. You know the situation: fewer jobs, more applicants.
    Fewer jobs: so far this year there have been 15% fewer jobs advertised in teaching.
    More applicants: Of the 2010 PGCE/BEd/GTT finishers, over 50% still have not been able to start their induction year and are still out there in the jobs market. What makes it worse is that a good third of the 2009 finishers haven't got a job either. And now after Christmas, the 2011 NQTs will start applying.
    So fewer jobs, more applicants, your apolication must be the VERY BEST POSSIBLE! Do read the advice in the Welcome thread very very carefully.
    Best of luck!

I shall be contributing to the Seminars on Saturday 8th January. TheoGriff Job Seminar
    Look forward to seeing you!