1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Theo: job application question

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by cornflake, Jan 18, 2020.

1. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

Dear Theo - or anyone else who can help!
    I know that you don't frequent these boards much, but have a query and thought you would be wise enough to know the answer!
    I am currently signed off from work, but possibly ready for a phased return soon.
    Is there any reason why I can't apply for new posts that will not interview until my return has commenced? (They are indicating March interviews)

I realise that if I remain signed off, I cannot attend any interviews.
    Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, you can apply.

And, with your Dr´s agreement, no reason why you shouldn´t go to interview too, when signed off.

But do make sure that it is with agreement, make a specific appointment to ask.

Best of luck!

http://bit.do/Clickk

3. cornflake

Thank you!
    I will ;)

4. cornflake

UPDATE: I've been advised that I will risk dismissal if I apply for anything (yes, apply, not attend interview) whilst I am signed off sick.
    Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I don't want to post any more detail on here and risk identification :(

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good gracious!

What weird Conditions of Employment your school has!

If you have an absence record that is not too good for them, you'd think they would be keen to see the back of you, so would be encouraging you to apply left, right and centre!

I would have a little chat with your union about this. You ARE in a union, aren´t you? Everyone should be.

Best wishes

6. cornflake

Hi Theo
    Thanks for replying.
    YES I am in a union, and the advice was from them!! But I’m going to check with HQ I think ...
    Until this current absence my record of attendance has been exemplary - but for other reasons it would suit us all if I could move on!