1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Theo....I have got a job

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by InformedConsent, Jul 11, 2012.

1. InformedConsent

InformedConsent New commenter

On my 4th interview I have secured a full time teaching position. I will be teaching a Year 6 Class from September 2012. The school is given a notice to improve by the Ofsted.

I have been invited on Friday for half an hour to meet the pupils at the school.
    I am confused regarding what to prepare for the meeting with the pupils. I am not asking you to plan for me, but I need some points which I could look at.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Congratulations on securing that full-time position.
    [​IMG]
    As to the meeting the pupils, half an hour isn't long. Sounds more like a general 'meer the school' than a 'half hour with your future class. If it <u>is</u> the latter, half an hour on a Fri. afternoon isn't going to be much time to do too much and they'll probably be quite tired so don't have too high expectations.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Firstly - Well done on getting that job! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It sounds as if the half-hour might be spent in the classroom, but I wouldn't have thought you would have to direct the activity - merely be a guest in the room with a friendly hello and a chance to move around the room chatting to the children.
    Just in case though, there is a nice idea here for 'A Recipe for Me' which might be a good chance for the children to tell you something about themselves,
    http://www.dltk-kids.com/crafts/miscellaneous/mrecipeforme.htm
    You can adapt the idea to something that is easily done in the half hour. You don't need to print the templates - it could easily be done on one side of A4 plain paper. Look in the ice-breaker section and if they write a paragraph it could be about what they are looking forward to in the new school year.
    If you don't use it on your visit it may be useful for the start of the year. [​IMG]

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You're a star, a twinkly star! Well done to you, InformedConsent!!!!!
    Super, super, super!
    [​IMG]
    Now go and read this thread (you've been just DYING for me to tell you that!) - bump it when you have read it.
    Got a Job Offer? What to do now . . .
    *** Do read it - very important to get everything right! ***
    And some really helpful ideas there from Marlin!
    Best wishes