1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Theo - how do I best present my previous non-teaching career?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by EcoLady, Mar 2, 2012.

1. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

I'm a 'mature' PGCE student just embarking on the job application process. I have a previous career in a totally different industry, in a variety of totally non-teaching role, but winning a number of national awards for some projects. I'd really appreciate some advice on how to best present this previous work. I'm anxious to avoid putting Heads off with a load of irrelevant stuff. At the same time want them to be clear that I was d**m good at what I did!
    The directly transferrable knowledge is pretty much zero. Transferrable skills are the usual stuff like team work, meeting deadlines, yawn, yawn. If I detailed what each role entailed on a CV it would be meaningless to a Head, but I don't want to gloss over my achievements.
    All advice very much appreciated. Thank you

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The best answer to your question "how do I best present my previous non-teaching career?" is:
    Very briefly.
    Why?
    You may have been the world's best baker, but that's irrelevant for a P.E. teacher. You may have been an award-winning lawyer, but that will not help you be good at teaching KS1 Numeracy.
    Etc.
    Probably, but that doesn't matter because they would give up reading and throw it in the NO pile.
    I think that you should. Just gloss over them with a brief mention. Because apart from any charge of irrelevancy, you might come over as too big for your boots, as someone who would feel superior in the staffroom and not fit in . . .
    Sorry - not what you wanted to hear!
    So,just mention briefly, say that you are now concentrating on your new career of teaching and say what you will contribute to the school if appointed.
    Maintained schools in England and Wales do not require a CV - in fact the statutory guidance is that they should not accept them, so if that's where you are applying, save your effort for a cracking application letter - see all the advice in the Welcome thread.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

3. A recent and interesting article on this subject (sort of!)
    https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6172489
    As a fellow career-changer I do think there is value in linking past achivements to the skills needed in your new role, just make it specific rather than reeling off the usual time-management etc.
    Good luck!

4. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

No, that IS what I wanted to hear - some practical advice on how to do it properly and present myself in the most appropriate way.
    Thank you very much indeed for being so frank - all noted :)

5. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You obviously DO have a lot of strengths and skills!
    [​IMG]
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com