1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Theo et al...how to deal with a bad reference

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Moony, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

So I've found a job I like and i'm applying for it. It's a HE post with teaching and I think i stand a reasonable chance with it (got the quals and experience for one of the flavours of job description they've posted). I've just been scanning the application form and they want references going back the last 3 years.....trouble is that will also include the school i worked at for a year and had a hellish time at, given how things went I'm not likely to have a shiney reference from them.
    What I need to know is there anything I can say that will let them know about this that isn't going to sound like an excuse. Generally on application forms I put down the fact that my contract ended as my reason for leaving that school as I was only on a one year contract with them and I can avoid bringing up the horridness of my experience working there. I know the simplest answer is to say the usual of my contract ending in the reason for leaving and then add in something about the fact I tried to fit in etc but I found the pressure of working there counter productive and so I was off with stress.
    The most annoying aspect of this is the prospect that after getting over my time at that school it could well come and bite me in the backside even now nearly 2 years after leaving there.

2. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

So I've found a job I like and i'm applying for it. It's a HE post with teaching and I think i stand a reasonable chance with it (got the quals and experience for one of the flavours of job description they've posted). I've just been scanning the application form and they want references going back the last 3 years.....trouble is that will also include the school i worked at for a year and had a hellish time at, given how things went I'm not likely to have a shiney reference from them.
    What I need to know is there anything I can say that will let them know about this that isn't going to sound like an excuse. Generally on application forms I put down the fact that my contract ended as my reason for leaving that school as I was only on a one year contract with them and I can avoid bringing up the horridness of my experience working there. I know the simplest answer is to say the usual of my contract ending in the reason for leaving and then add in something about the fact I tried to fit in etc but I found the pressure of working there counter productive and so I was off with stress.
    The most annoying aspect of this is the prospect that after getting over my time at that school it could well come and bite me in the backside even now nearly 2 years after leaving there.

3. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

How many references do you need? In my county, you need 2- one from your current HT and another one- pref from previous school or someone who knows you well professionally. I change this ref according to the application and its requirements. (if they are looking for strong behaviour management for eg, I give my training school Head, because behaviour was an issue at that school- if its for KS1, I give a ref from someone I worked with in KS1 who knows my skills).
    Have you no one from this previous school who could give you a good reference that would be relevant to this position? It doesn't have to be the Head, I don't think? (TG will know this one, but I'm pretty sure.)
    Could you ask someone you worked closely alongside to give you a good ref? Then you will have your current Head as ref and a good second, relevant ref, without involving your previous Head at all.
    ? HTH

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Try reading this thread - you may get some ideas there.
    how to overcome a bad reference?
    Best wishes

5. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Dizzy - They want 2 as a minimum but they want ref's going back 3 years, which means that as i've had a different job each academic year i'll have to include the job that was horrid.

Theo - thanks!