1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Themed Curriculum at KS3

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by angiefavaro, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Hi, I am currently researching introducing a themed curriculum into KS3. Has it worked in anybody's schools and if so did you devise your own or implement a published one. Any information would be greatly recieved. Thank you

2. Hi, I am currently researching introducing a themed curriculum into KS3. Has it worked in anybody's schools and if so did you devise your own or implement a published one. Any information would be greatly recieved. Thank you

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I know buying in schemes is all the rage, but I'd strongly recommend going for homegrown design. There are so many missed opportunities for links in existing curriculum plans that actually could be drawn together with relative ease.
    For example, the chances are that your History department teaches medieval history and Stuart history, and yet they probably never liaise with the English department's teaching of Chaucer or Shakespeare. And so much of the Sc1 stuff now in Science would link so well with features of forms of writing in English. Not to mention the obvious Sci/Ma links.
    In fact, save yourself the money on a bought-in product, and use it to buy me in instead, and I'll come and bash all your departments' heads' heads together and knock something up.
    Or, to put it another way: if you have middle schools anywhere nearby, or middle school teachers, you'd do well to ask them. We know a lot about these things [​IMG]

4. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Is this beneficial to the pupils?

5. oggs26

oggs26 New commenter

at my last school we had thing called competance curriculum and it was themed based for yr 7 and 8. Project 7 had a unit on romans that incoporated lots of things maths, english, hist etc project 8 it was humanities based our community, democracy in action - we as a staff developed all the resources ourselves

6. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

A good deal of research would seem to imply so.