1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Theme park maths investigation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by juliateacher, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Before I start making resources and lesson plans, has anyone got any 'stuff' they would be willing to share with me.

I've done prices of three theme parks, and chn will investigate how much it will cost to for their family, and present information in graph form and also thought about word problems involving money.

Any help greatly received.

2. Before I start making resources and lesson plans, has anyone got any 'stuff' they would be willing to share with me.

I've done prices of three theme parks, and chn will investigate how much it will cost to for their family, and present information in graph form and also thought about word problems involving money.

Any help greatly received.

3. Absolutely brilliant Bluerose. Thanks.
    Got call on Friday from our link inspector if Ofsted don't call then the LEA will do two day visit soon.
    So wanted an engaging context for maths, will have to see how it develops!

4. good luck

5. obviously too hard but might inspire some ideashttp://www.ccc.commnet.edu/mwp/book1/section1/abstract08.shtml

http://score.kings.k12.ca.us/lessons/amprks.htm

how about they plan day out using websites if possible (if not download info) could compare different theme parks eg alton towers, drayton manor, thorpe park legoland etc

6. I did something once where the class had a list of rides and the length of the ride and the length of the queue (in minutes). They were struggling with concept of time so they had to plan their day so that they got on all the rides they needed, had lunch and made it back in time for the coach. The higher achievers also added 5 minutes to move between rides, 10 minutes to find a lost member of their group,etc - i printed these on littel cards and they had to incorprate these events into their outlines.
    It worked really well but I cannot for the life of me find the sheets they recorded on though they are fairly simple to devise.
    Sounds a fabulous week is in store, adn with luck you will forget anyone is watching! The children are immediately engaged in any case which is half the battle.

7. Bluerose - you must have found that at about the same time as I did! ;)
    Basilbrush - that sounds great, do the websites tell you the length of time waiting in queues or did you make it up?

8. Have got details of main rides from Thorpe Park and mini review as if I've been there on smartboard - for data handling lesson.
    Done food lesson with smartboard.
    Done Chessington World of Adventure price lesson.

Will liasise with colleague tomorrow about lesson plan for lunar theme park.

9. I made them up using a map of the theme park and photocopying it with arrows showing waiting times for each ride as I recall. The cards I gave out randomly to maintain the pace of the lesson and these could go in envelopes to increase the suspense. Hope this makes sense.

I looked again for the stuff but clearly did it on old computer. Not hard to dream up though.

10. Thanks now have it on smartboard, and downloaded Thorpe Park map. We compared prices, and looked at discounts and savings today.

11. Just wondering has anyone used the lunar investigation and how did it go? I have a year 5 class who arent very inspired by maths and want to do something fun with them so see if it gets them into it more

12. I dont suppose I could be really cheeky Juliateacher and ask to have a look at your plans? I have problem solving planned for Wednesday afternoon which just so happens to be OFSTED!! I'm Year 6 teacher, first ever OFSTED and really want to do well.

Thanks in advance

Vicky

13. This was 2006, have moved schools and broken two laptops since then - you'll be lucky! Realised yesterday I had lost all my Highway man stuff so don't hold your breath. I have stuff on cds but they are at school, will check on Monday. Sorry.

14. just done search for files on laptop and nothing - sorry but looks like they died with the first laptop I killed.

15. anything on here that you could usehttp://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffroom/thread.aspx?story_id=2251954&path=/Primary/