1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Theme park math Help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sulas, Jun 19, 2011.

1. A quick question for all you lovely people.
    We have finally been told we can stop doing the Primary Framework in year 6. I am planning to do Theme Park and thought that my more able could just run with it so to speak - leaving my TA and i to focus on the the LA ( I teach whole class maths).
    Has anyone done this or do you do it as a taught project?
    Any ideas would be great thanks.

2. A quick question for all you lovely people.
    We have finally been told we can stop doing the Primary Framework in year 6. I am planning to do Theme Park and thought that my more able could just run with it so to speak - leaving my TA and i to focus on the the LA ( I teach whole class maths).
    Has anyone done this or do you do it as a taught project?
    Any ideas would be great thanks.

3. If you look on Primary Resources there are resources for a project.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We do it as a taught topic over three weeks and include some literacy as well.
    I'll pm you about lesson plans.

5. Thanks for your reply - that wasn't what i was asking though.
    i wondered if people used these as taught units - ie where the teacher directs each aspect and works through with the chn or if people have allowed more able chn to follow the instructions and proceed at their own pace - asking for help as needed.

6. Thank you minnieminx. That will be really helpful. How do you pm? [​IMG]

7. Click on the name of the person you want to pm, then it will bring up a profile page, the option to send a message is there.

8. Thank you that's so simple - I feel so silly now for not knowing!

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We do it as taught lessons. If we just handed out the pack and said 'have a nice three weeks' we'd have chaos. Doing it as taught lessons means children do more or less keep up.

We did it in mixed ability groups of up to three children though from classes not a set.

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

We do it as part of PLTS/ Building Learing Power, so in groups with some input lessons e.g .how to decide on a scale and draw a map, pecentages & ratio, using Excel etc. but the other lessons are for groups to work out how to organise themselves to make sure their project is finished on time. We have mini-plenaries to share techniques for this & at the end we look for which strategies worked best.

11. I did it as a project with my middle set year 5s last year, where I taught the skills to complete it to those who needed it, but generally just let them get on with it. It was about this time of year that I did it. It worked really well because it allowed my TA and I time to move amongst the children and work with individuals. If there were a group of children that were stuck on a certain bit I would work with them together either in that session or at the start of the next, but the ones at the top of the set wanted to work independently and try it for themselves. It took quite a lot of checking of their work, but it was a really worthwhile project for them.

Also, I adapted the file from Primary Resources and made it more user-friendly if you want me to send you a copy.

12. diamond_raindrops

diamond_raindrops New commenter

13. Hi I just looked at your link and i can't see any connection to theme parks - am I missing something??