1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Theft on a school trip

Discussion in 'School trips' started by larimarlady, Mar 3, 2011.

1. larimarlady

larimarlady New commenter

A small question regarding a theft that took place while on a school trip. A group of kids managed to get money out of a vending machine and split it amonst themselves. I didn't know that it had happened, but another member of staff did, while we were still at the place we were visiting.
    I am just wondering why the other member of staff didn't do anything about the theft and where this puts me. I feel I should report this matter.
    Any advice?

2. larimarlady

A small question regarding a theft that took place while on a school trip. A group of kids managed to get money out of a vending machine and split it amonst themselves. I didn't know that it had happened, but another member of staff did, while we were still at the place we were visiting.
    I am just wondering why the other member of staff didn't do anything about the theft and where this puts me. I feel I should report this matter.
    Any advice?

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

What would be the sanction if the machine had have been in school? The kids should get the same sanction and also be banned from trips for a specified period. Once some of ours were caught shoplifting in an art gallery shop. No trips for 12 months conditional on thier good behaviour in school over that period. Plus a fixed term exclusion, plus having to write letters of apology to the gallery.

4. larimarlady

Well it was a significant amount of money - and if I am honest there are few sanctions in the school. One of the kids was in today with new trainers, tracksuit seemingly happy to show off his new spoils so it seemed. All that has been done is for the students to pay a small donation to Comic Relief.

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Well you can still ban them from trips!

6. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

What share did your colleague get?