1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Theft from a member of staff

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by greta444, Feb 27, 2011.

1. greta444

greta444 New commenter

This happened in our primary school. The child never did own up but we had several reliable witnesses and the child's behaviour was a give-away. The phone was found and the parents called and brough in. The child remained in school and that was the end of the matter.
    Not sure if I would have dealt with it in a 'stronger' way (was not in headship at the time) as the staff member was very upset.
    If I were you, I would feel very uncomfortable teaching that child. Can you have a different group?

2. If it has been effectively dealt with by the police, and it doesn't involve direct violenbce to yourself, under what grounds do you think the school can remove him?
    At best you maybe able to suggest mediation for yourself and the pupil, though IMO may lead to the pupil having more "power over you" than they appear to already have...
    You could ask to teach another group etc but the head is under no obligation, after all you are employed to teach all pupils without discrimination...and if you cannot do that then effectively you are not able to do your job - sounds harsh I know, but mny HTs take this approach.
    If you are particularly friendly with HT perhaps you will be rteated more favourably...

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

No the governors can't make the parents pay for the phone and it isn't their job to ask them to either. You don't say how old the pupil is but you could ask for compensation from the parents and take a small court claim if you wanted to - ask your union what they think.
    Although it can be legitimate industrial action for staff to refuse to teach a violent pupil when they come back from an exclusion there would first have to be a ballot etc. Anyway this pupil isn't violent as far as I can see from your question and I don't think that the fact s/he has stolen from you would be legal grounds to refuse to teach him/her. Discussion with the head would be a better bet with the possibility of a grievance against the head if the head refuses to remove pupil to another class.
    I don't understand why you think s/he shouldn't come back to school. Why was they pupil excluded? I'm assuming it was because the head concluded the pupil had stolen your phone despite not admitting it. If so the Fixed Term exclusion is the punishment for stealing the phone, it's irrelevant that the pupil has now admitted it. S/he's been punished anyway so won't be punished again or further excluded for it.

4. Italianophile

Italianophile New commenter

Thanks everyone for the good advice. I don't have a problem with aforementioned young person coming back to school after his/her exclusion - I just wanted to know what to expect. Govs are being very supportive, as is my great Head. Will let you all know how it goes.
    Thanks again! :)