1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

theatre tickets

Discussion in 'Personal' started by zee-bra, Jan 8, 2012.

1. zee-bra

zee-bra New commenter

I live outside London but have decided I should go into London more to go to the theatre. I have wanted to go to Mama Mia for years so I have looked online at purchasing tickets. The price range is huge. Has anyone been and can tell me if it really makes a huge difference with the different seats? Do you think you really have a bad view with the lower price tickets? I cannot afford the dearest tickets but will pay for the most expensive I can afford if it makes a huge difference.
    I ask this partly because my local theatre (although I realise much smaller) has a good view pretty much everywhere and i find that the middle priced tickets are no better than the more expensive ones.
    I appreciate that all the theatres are different so if you have any opinions about the seating in any of the others, I would appreciate hearing about those too as I am going to try and make these visits a regular thing (until the mortgage interest rate starts rising. LOL!)

2. Look at theatremonkey online for good ideas about seats, also dont pay more than rrp which some websites ask for as often the theatre still have seats so there's no need to pay more.

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Check "TheatreMonkey" as they have reviews of different seats in specific theatres. I have used them to avoid awful seats within the same price range. For the Theatre that is CURRENTLY showing MamaMia, see:
    http://www.theatremonkey.com/PRINCEOFWALESbooking.htm#Th
    I think this will change in the Summer.

4. Crystalsecrets

Crystalsecrets New commenter

I don't usually prebook my tickets. If you go to Leicester square on the day you want to see a show there are a lot of discount ticket booths selling tickets for the shows that day. If you get there early enough you can walk around several and find the tickets for the show you want.
    The downside is that sometimes you can be out of luck for the show you want and you may have to go and see something different. I tried for Wicked last time but didnt get their until late afternoon by which time there were no tickets for that so i went to see Love Never Dies instead which was also on my list of things to see.I( tickets were second row back!) think most of the ticket booths open between 9=10 am.
    Good luck and enjoy, i saw Mamma Mia several years ago and enjoyed it ( sat near the front as i wasnt paying for the tickets that time)

5. Crystalsecrets

Crystalsecrets New commenter

6. zee-bra

zee-bra New commenter

Thank you eveyone. i had never heard of the theatre monkey website but it is just the thing I was after. [​IMG]

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

In Manchester we always get the cheapest we can and get vouchers off Moneysavingsexpert for Pizza Express or something similar, then spend what we've saved on G+Ts before the show starts and an ice cream in the interval. Can do the lot for around £50 for 2.
    Down to London on Thursday and going to the Donmar to see Richard II with the lovely Eddie Redmayne. Never been to that theatre before so really looking forward to it. It's only a 250 seater so must be really intimate. Will cost a bit more than £50 though.

8. Look at theatremonkey online for good ideas about seats, also dont pay more than rrp which some websites ask for as often the theatre still have seats so there's no need to pay more.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Intimate maybe. Comfortable not!

10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Really. Oh heck!

11. lastminute.com have special offers on mama mia atm

12. My main tip would be to take a seat that's further back and central than one to the side, even if it's closer to the stage. This is after viewing Wicked from behind a pillar. Not fun.

13. I went to see Mama Mia years ago, not sure which theatre it was then, (we were really high up in a large theatre). I loved the show but the stage was a long way away and we did need the binoculars at times! I just looked on The Prince of Wales theatre website hoping to be able to get the view from your seat, our theatre does that and it's really helpful, but it doesn't offer that facility. I wouldn't go too far back if I was you, but definitely aim for a central seat, as mentioned above. Mind you I don't suppose you don't know the plot, or the songs so just being there and soaking up the atmosphere will be fun. [​IMG]