1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Your School Games format - what a farce!

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by gogojonny, Mar 18, 2012.

1. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

First off I think the idea behind the 'Your School Games' format is great. However in reality it is a farce. Schoold are not running intra events first, and are just flinging selected kids into the next level comps. Informaion on these comps is scarce, down to the school games organisers and development officers. It annoys me when you see the event in the press paraded around as the solution to school sport competitiom, when in fact it has been a mess and many pupils have not had the chance to compete in it. Anyone else had any experience of these games?

2. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

First off I think the idea behind the 'Your School Games' format is great. However in reality it is a farce. Schoold are not running intra events first, and are just flinging selected kids into the next level comps. Informaion on these comps is scarce, down to the school games organisers and development officers. It annoys me when you see the event in the press paraded around as the solution to school sport competitiom, when in fact it has been a mess and many pupils have not had the chance to compete in it. Anyone else had any experience of these games?

3. I was involved in a pilot scheme last year in Cornwall which was ok, some horrendous activities but some good ones as well and has been developed on this year. Ours last year was held on a Sunday which was an awful idea as it became more parent orientated than teachers, as many refused to do it, but on the other hand drew a lot of support from families.
    But i agree with you about throwing the pupils in as we got the events far too late to run the intra-schools competition. We ideally wanted the events in July to plan them in to house competitions etc but didn't get them until December, by which a third of the school year has gone.
    Also they haven't seemed to liaise with already well established competitions as we have a great rugby 7's system already in existence which is keenly fought and they have just simply added another one!!
    To work well this needs to have a set series of events that feed in to a national competition. At the moment it is too county based.
    Jury is still out!

4. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

All it takes it someone in each area (the school games organiser) to sit down with the schools and make sure they follow the same games plan. Each school should then have time for lessons, intra comp then the inter comp leading into the school games.
    From what I gather it is up to individual sports partnerships to decide which sports constitute each event. Some governing bodies are unhappy they have been missed off.
    I know in my area schools have been offered coaching from governing bodies but have turned it down - it is just one big disorganised mess. If the school games organisers did their job, and made sure all schools did rugby (for example) from Sept - Dec, then maybe we just might get some schools on board running comps.
    It is a case of once again too many sports, trying to be too inclusive. Less is more.

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Hi GGJ.
    As you know I am overseas. What is the 'Your School Games'? are there still jobs such as the SSCo (you mention a school games organisere) available?
    If there are still jobs like this, where are they advertised?
    Thanks