1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Year 1 NQT club 2008

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by pink_tink, Jul 10, 2008.

1. weekly challenge? what kind of things are the challenges?

whats highscope time lol...again NEVER come across any of this in the nine schools i have worked in ha!

2. I have never seen highscope in action, but would love to know a bit more about it. I too am having a challenge area and am using the challenges on ********** (which, as I am sure you know, is now totally free). Oh - going back to the number of chairs.....I was told to make sure there were enough chairs for each child to have their own seat, plus a few extra for TAs, parent-helpers and myself for working with groups.

3. Highscope is based on plan, do and review.

Plan: chidlren decide what they are going to do
    do: they do it
    review: the child and members of the class review what they have done. NOT just by showing it to the class as I have seen done in the past. Actually reviewing it in relation to what the original plan was.

As for challenges. We have all sorts of challenges based on different areas of learning. Things like...can you make the tallest tower using only 10 straws and some sellotape? Who can make the best aeroplane?

Make the challenges open ended. For example with the best aeroplane there are so many possibilities. Is it the one that flies the furthest? The one that is the most colourful? The one that is the smallest/biggest? etc.

4. Oh wow that's a really good idea. I might make a list now ready to start!

5. the challenge area sounds really good then! would love to have one in my class if i can fit it! do you share the challenge with the children on a monday morning then? im wondering if the nqt in the other year one class in my school has heard of this - could each do one a week in each class then swap which would save alot of time aswell :eek:)

6. We have 2 challenges a week in class. The children know where to find the challenges and they have until the end of the week to do it in their highscope/CI time.

7. i know this is very sad but im really pleased!! went into school this morning and did 2 displays and chucked loads out!! wahoo!! feel really happy that ive got the ball rolling with sorting my room :)

8. Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas. I start a long term post in Sept with Year 1 and I haven't had tonnes of experience with this age group if I'm honest. I've been thinking about my role play area and because our first topic is 'Schools' I was considering either a little school or a Caretaker's office? I like both ideas but swaying more towards Caretaker's office because of the mix of things I could use i.e. mop, bucket, dustpan and brush, hole puncher, cloths etc. Does anyone have any ideas that might help me?? Thanks x

9. You could have lots of writing ideas - e.g things that need mending, lists etc.

I was also looking for advice. I have analysed the children's foundation stage profiles now and put them into groups for reading, writing and maths and set the targets for end of the year results. A few children (about 4) look like they will still be at P levels for Maths and literacy by the end of the year. How do you decide who needs an IEP?

10. I haven't even received the childrens profile results. I can't assess or put them into groups or anything (trying not to feel stressed).

Also its a two form entry school and the other teacher has been away on holiday and is new to the school so planning is not getting done either as we have to do it together (still trying not to feel stressed).

I know that first week back will be mad and I will be so busy.

As for IEPs geniegirl I think once you know the children you will decide who needs an IEP and always seek advice from the SENCO if your unsure.

11. AH ok thank you - I have never experienced the use of IEPs before so literally have no idea!
    Don't worry about the planning and grouping - grouping can be done once you know them, and you don't need to plan too much for the first week...maybe just have a rough idea!

12. IEPs are for children who are on school action or school action plus. You should be given this information.

Bit baffled that you are predicting their outcomes for the end of year 1 before they have even met you. Children make massive leaps in progress during this period of time.

I would also be very cautious of 'grouping' the children for the first term at least.

13. i just put them in the same groups in which they were in in reception then change them when i feel fit to :)

14. Hi all,

I'm also an NQT starting Year 1 in September. Anyone got any tips on where to start? Starting to feel nervous now!

15. Has anyone got any ideas for Literacy and Numeracy display boards? I have 6 display boards in my classroom plus 2 more for permanant all year round Literacy & Numeracy boards. I'm debating on whether to make them universal and just have as much information on as possible without making them look cluttered. Or to use them alongside the learning that is taking place during that topic/term/unit.

Any ideas?

16. Pinkflipflop - I wouldn't have done targets for the end of the year yet either, but that's the way the school do it and I have been given a way of working it out.
    As for grouping - they are very flexible and can be moved when seen fit, but for the time being having them in their guided reading groups and giving them tasks to match their abilities may well work!

17. ah right, fair enough.

Why does your school have permanent year round display boards emmemz?

18. Each class has a numeracy and literacy display board. In the upper classes some have VCOP displays or vocab they might need for their numeracy unit. I just can't think of how to transfer it to Year 1 so it's accessible and manageable for me :/

19. Just quite surprised it stays the same all year!

Or am I just reading it wrong?! Does the actual display change around the literacy/numeracy units?

20. Yes it changes depending on what they are learning. I just wanted ideas for what people have done in Year 1 :)