1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The worst job in the garden

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chelsea2, Mar 16, 2016.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Is this the worst job in the garden? I have just cut the grass for the first time this year. Instead of the midsummer 30 - 40 minutes, it has taken me over 2 and a half hours, much of which was spent de-clogging the blades and picking up clumps of damp, compacted grass which the mower kept spitting out. I have now come in feeling freezing cold, with damp feet and disgusting chlorophyllic hands.

Can't think of many worse garden jobs - perhaps cutting a long, high hedge?

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Lawn edging. You do it and it never looks as neat as you'd hoped.

3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Scooping the poop left by the bloody cats that use my garden to dump in.

4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Getting rid of leatherjackets. Would that we could cut the sparse apology for a lawn we have just now.

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Cutting back overgrown blackberry bushes on the part of my allotment that we haven't tackled before was gruelling and I have the scratched arms and hands and puncture holes from the thorns to prove it!

oldsomeman likes this.
  6. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Cleaning out the garden pond is pretty rank :(.
    I've got my gardener coming to do my lawns next week and I'm very glad I haven't got that job to do.

oldsomeman likes this.
  7. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Clearing up the exploded slugs that look like black-snot-sneezes the morning after you put out the slug pellets the night before

mandylifeboats, nomad and oldsomeman like this.
  8. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Can be
    Especially if you have to work around the frog spawn

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'm putting off the first mow of the year... the longer I put it off the worse I know it'll be.

10. May2

May2 Established commenter

Well my worst job, garden experience was last year. I had an old dustbin round by our compost stuff that had filled with rain water. As the dustmen were collecting our green bin the next day and our garden bin was already full, I thought I would put more garden stuff in that one. I tipped the bin over to find half decomposed rats at the bottom. I have never ever smelt such a stench! It was the most disgusting smell ever. I tipped it at the edge of our garden and of course my dog's immediate reaction was arrr something nice to roll in! Thank goodness I managed to drag him away quickly enough when his head went down into action.

mandylifeboats, InkyP and oldsomeman like this.
  11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Yuk! I think the worst is scooping up cat and fox s hit. Haven't had rats yet.

oldsomeman likes this.
  12. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Weeding. Enough said!

oldsomeman likes this.
  13. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Cutting a long, high hedge in a large Scottish garden on a still evening,releasing clouds of midges to add to the misery of aching, scratched arms - after cutting the super-clogging mossy grass!

Thankfully though, somebody invented this:
    image.jpeg

mandylifeboats likes this.
  14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Really hard to say. The first dig of the year (2/3 through atm) is hard. I like to fork the lawn but it does knacker my knees. Didn't do it last year so should make an effort this year. Husband has done the first grass cut (hurray!) and also does the hedges.Don't enjoy pruning the roses or sorting out the old pots at the end of the summer and hauling them into the greenhouse. it's all the bending down that finishes me off.
    I enjoy a bit of light hoeing ( shut up!) and keeping it all neat and pretty. I also enjoy putting peppermint essence on the cotton wool collars on my fruit trees because it keeps off the squirrels - it's working so far.

15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Use salt. They don't explode.

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

To my mind i hate weeding in a garden.You dig it up clear the place and 2 weeks later the little so and so spring back

17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

try cutting back a pyracantha hedge if you want lots of scars

18. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

They fizz when the salt hits them and it's most disconcerting.

19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Pooh patrol. We have 3 dogs. But Mr Belle keeps on top of this job as he's a stay at home hubby.

20. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I have never undertaken a gardening job that I've enjoyed apart from raising an order for a gardening contract and keeping the gardener on his toes.

My experience of gardening has been aching all over from doing all the hard work to allow my sweetheart to get the glory and credit for popping in a few, ready made plants which she chose at the garden centre, before walking off and leaving me to settle the bill. I would mind it less if she took the trouble to look at the price tags before piling them into the trolley or allowing me the time to study the packets of seeds for long enough to discover whether she could have her garden for 1% of what it ended up costing me.

Before anyone asks me again whether I am a financially controlling husband, I will state once again that I'm not.

My sweetheart has her own income and spends it entirely as she chooses and it's mostly on herself. I have a separate income from which the vast majority of household bills get paid. It has been thus since it became necessary to close a joint account that was being abused and open separate ones.

I love her to bits and seek to enable her aspirations in life as far as I possibly can, but I'm not the millionaire she believes I am and frankly, she is useless with money. There, I've said it. I've set myself up to be attacked by every feminist who reads the Internet.

Who wants to be first?