1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

“The work-shy teacher who is a taste of what’s to come”

Discussion in 'Education news' started by felicity5183, Nov 8, 2017.

1. felicity5183

felicity5183 Occasional commenter

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...OK-Work-shy-teacher-snowflake-generation.html

Well this person has NO idea.

How is teaching meant to get better when joe public has this view of teaching. I saw on the other thread for the original article the sheer amount of comments from The Rag readers who think that teaching is a walk in the park.

I, for one, am happy that I am on my way out of this abysmal mess. Call me when things get better!

2. galerider123

galerider123 Established commenter

I read this article as a wholesale attack on young people.

nomad and felicity5183 like this.
  3. felicity5183

felicity5183 Occasional commenter

I’m FED UP of being called a SNOWFLAKE!!!!

Yes I do agree that there are some people out there who might be less hard working than their forebears. However, times have changed and speaking from experience it is very hard growing up in this age.

Things have gotten worse, not just in teaching but in every part of education and in ever profession. Times are a-changing and I just wish people like the Daily Rag readers would understand!

BetterNow likes this.
  4. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Unfortunately the "if you can't do it, teach instead" mentality persists in the consciousness of Joe Public. This is persists due to a state of ignorance of what is involved in teaching today. The Daily Mail likes to build on the prejudices of its readers and so does not provide the statistics on retention of teachers to back up the teacher who quit.

Some comments of the Daily Mail readers are illuminating. Perhaps they should try teaching themselves.

BetterNow and felicity5183 like this.
  5. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Much as it will attract lots of flak, I'd have to say that for the vast majority of those in STEM subjects who go straight into teaching it really is a case of: those who can do, those who can't teach. I saw more than ample evidence of this on my PGCE course.

Those with good STEM degrees can almost always find a much more rewarding job in the real world. They will be much better paid, far less stressed, and their talents will be appreciated. STEM graduates should only consider teaching after they have had many years doing a real job, and are no longer wet behind the ears. This is the way it used to be, many years ago, when there were good STEM teachers. Somebody would find that they were now doing more or less the same thing as before, and were now comfortably off, so they would become a teacher, and share their wealth of experience: and wouldn't have to waste a year on teacher training.

Also, going straight into a school is very, very bad for developing maturity. Industry typically treats its employees as adults, and has checks and balances built in to encourage this attitude. In marked contrast, schools treat their staff like the children they teach, with a despot ruling like some feudal baron. It's one of the reasons, in addition to cost, that very young teachers are strongly favoured. An older person (especially one with years of real world experience) usually won't put up with this nonsense.

cazzmusic1, hhhh and Babycakes77 like this.
  6. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Lead commenter

Many people, if not "most" enjoy hard work - I certainly do. If I have a good reason to get up in the morning and can see some purpose to my day; if I feel I have something worthwhile to give to the human race - then the day is worth living and living is better than dying. Many people, when they "retire" (the wrong word) still continue working in many ways, even though they're not paid for what they do. Look at all the charities that have older people working tirelessly for them. Being part of a team, and getting out of the house with some purpose in mind, is better than sitting at home watching daytime tv for certain. Retired people have useful skills that don't just die when they retire! I loved teaching and am glad that I can contribute something useful to the world of education and can still be in contact with young people and children.

Norsemaid, Alice K and felicity5183 like this.
  7. teselectronic

teselectronic New commenter

School Teaching is not only difficult, it requires a great deal of hard work; but, is also very, very, rewarding.
    You can most certainly apply Dr. Tajfel's Social Identity Theory to these inappropriate comments.
    For someone who has worked in Industry and held a relatively senior management job, which required hard work and determination, worked in F.E. and represented the College has an Industrial Consultant in parallel with Teaching up to level (iv); that was nothing compared to teaching in Secondary Schools.
    I was offered Consultancy work in Secondary Education due to my endeavours, results and dedication.
    Although Secondary School Teaching is very rewarding, it is a very difficult profession which requires hard work and determination.
    Thank you to all Teachers.

8. colpee

colpee Lead commenter

Which other worlds do you have in mind for comparison?

9. colpee

colpee Lead commenter

Some do, but there are no end of cr@ap employers out there; I doubt it is a sector thing, just a people/leadership attitude.

10. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

If working involves doing something worthwhile, which brings satisfaction to the worker and is of some value to society, it can bring fulfillment. These days, much of teaching is as pointless and soul-destroying as breaking rocks in a prison yard.

Babycakes77 likes this.
  11. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

In fairness, they did do a very interesting piece on Ofsted recently. And several other papers have called teaching a part-time job.
    Plus there are some relevant points that we should consider-when I started teaching, the vast majority of staff chatted to each other. Now, I;m told, many young teachers spend all their breaks online; surely it the problem is partly the way the workload has increased (in ways that so not benefit the students) and partly technology?

12. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

And what about the older teachers, who came into the profession back when they were treated as, er, professionals? Especially when they're stuck with a head half their age who only started teaching a couple of years ago...

Alice K likes this.
  13. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Nah, just teachers. Though I'd admit that most of us 'oldies' had it much better when we started teaching. We talked to each other-we had the time.

14. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I think they have commented on retention in the past, and quite honestly I think MOST papers imply teaching is a skive (I used to try to read lots of different papers but can't remember the last time I bought any)!
    Sorry, but most of the public think teachers are lucky to only work from 9-3.30, and have all those holidays. Should we do more to change this perception?
    I remember that a decade or 2 ago, my doctor had a poster up explaining how hard she worked!

15. galerider123

galerider123 Established commenter