1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Windermere Children.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jude Fawley, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Look out for the film tonight BBC 2 at 9 p.m. and the follow up programme 'In Their Own Words' on BBC 4 at 10.30 p.m.

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Watch the trailer before moving on to another thread.

Please.

3. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

4. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Also:

...... at a special screening in London, the real-life Arek and Ike and Harry and Bela and Sam and Ben all gathered once more to watch their stories play out on screen. They were chosen as central characters for the TV drama, and they also tell share their memories in the (very good) documentary which airs at 10.30pm on BBC Four.''

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-01-27/the-windermere-children-review/

5. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Apologies @Jude Fawley for repeating what you'd already posted.

The drama was moving, beautifully executed, and uplifting.

This follow on documentary though, it's already really hard to watch.............no words

6. Jude Fawley

It's just good that we got a chance to watch it tonight. I'm going to watch the documentary tomorrow night because I have to get some sleep to be ready for work. And thankful I am that I'm alive and free to do that. Certainly time to pause and think.

Nanny Ogg and cissy3 like this.
  7. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I must add, not to put anyone off, that it is a very good documentary, with some fascinating extra information.

I think it's just seeing photos and film of the real people involved, so heart-wrenching.

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Thanks for that @Jude Fawley I probably wouldn't have watched it without this thread, it was very moving, glad I saw it.

9. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Liked the play very much - non-sentimental, moving and ultimately uplifting. I'll catch the documentary on iplayer tonight.
    I had planned to watch the play but didn't realise the documentary was also being screened, so thanks, @Jude Fawley

10. lucylollipop

lucylollipop New commenter

Another vote of thanks!
    I turned on the documentary whilst reading this thread. I'm planning on watching the play today. Emotional, beautiful|! What struck me listening to the survivors, and the narration, was how forward thinking and careful their 'handling' was when they came to Windermere.

11. Jude Fawley

Jesmond12 likes this.
  12. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Thank you for the link. I had not heard of the Windermere children though I've known a few survivors. So much to learn from this, and not just the obvious. Such resilliance shown by these people. An emotional watch without a doubt.

13. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I watched it last night, also recorded it to watch again. Must watch the documentary on iplayer as I missed it on tv as I was travelling.

needabreak likes this.
  14. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

A very moving programme. It was hard to watch but necessary to watch. The inhumanity is difficult to understand.

cissy3 likes this.
  15. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Yes, I felt sickened and angered.

I don't support the death penalty, but I felt a sense of justice when we saw the likes of Josef Kramer and Irma Grese being sentenced to hang.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  16. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

Sam was a friend of my father and I went to school with his daughter.
    No one spoke about what happened they just wanted to get on with life as they saw it.
    Antisemitism is at a high around the world, this country included, testimonies, as seen in this dramatization of what happened, is a positive step.
    The main problem is holocaust deniers would ignore these testimonies.

needabreak likes this.
  17. needabreak

I watched the documentary straight after but then missed tonights programme, it was heartening to see that after all they suffered and witnessed as children these people went on to have normal fairly happy lives, going on to help others and ensure that awful part of inhumane history is not forgotten, something other victims were robbed of by that vile regime. I will watch it on catchup at some point.

Edit - like I said I had no idea about the Windermere children... I once even lived in a building named after Montefiore and still had no idea of him or his role... like others have said the survivors I knew rarely if ever spoke of it, often preferring to focus on the value of human life.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  18. needabreak

This makes programmes like this and the work of the survivors and their families even more important.

Jesmond12 and Morninglover like this.
  19. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Just watched this programme. So moving throughout and the ending had me in tears.

needabreak likes this.
  20. needabreak

Yes and in the documentary when the survivor said then they gave us Israel and more trouble, brought it right up to date. What a dreadful pre-requisit to an ongoing dreadful saga. :(

nomad likes this.