1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The whole Universe jiggles, maybe.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by racroesus, Feb 10, 2016.

1. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

LIGO may have delivered.

kibosh likes this.
  2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Raspberry ripples?

No seriously, it'd be good news, another proof for old Albert.

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

6. Mangleworzle

Thanks for that, fascinating stuff.

"If a gravitational wave throbs past, light in one of those beams will travel further than light in the other - by a tiny, tiny fraction of the width of an atom."

kibosh likes this.
  7. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

In theory, a gravitational wave must be created when I jiggle my little finger. I presume some sort of graviton quantum energy level is not achieved though?

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Eureka! Stop jiggling the universe...

kibosh and racroesus like this.
  9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Gravity waves.

Nomad waves back.

kibosh, monicabilongame and racroesus like this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So now we can we build a gravity wave drive and have high speed travel to neighbouring stars?

yes?

Please?

No? ...

:(

:mad:

11. Mangleworzle

Gravity surfing, I'll have a go later, I'll get the dog to set up some waves with her tail by offering a bonio.

lanokia likes this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

A FTL drive powered by the wag of dogs tails... now that'd be a sight.

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

14. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Similar to dropping a pebble in a still pool then.

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It's the whole pool that vibrates.

16. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Well yes they usually do

racroesus likes this.
  17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Surf's Up dudes!

[​IMG]

kibosh, monicabilongame and TCSC47 like this.
  18. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Is this a picture from a film in the 70's? If so it was a brilliant film, a dark sci-fi comedy, but I can't remember its title. It was about a bunch of astronauts whose job it was to go around and blow up unstable stars before they go super nova and damage nearby inhabited planets. (I think I've just seen one problem with that plot, but never mind.)

The beauty of sci fi is that it is not so much about the future, but really more about the present. Being made in the 70's the film was commenting on the marijuana sozzeled hippy generation of that time as well as the Vietnam War. ( The Vietnamese call it the American War, by the way.) The space craft was equipped with "intelligent" nuclear bombs to blow up the stars. One of these bombs, when asked to go and blow up a star, for some reason I can't remember decides it is going to detonate itself on the space ship. The bomb informs the crew of this and they decide the only solution is to debate some philosophy with it to dissuade it from blowing them up. At the same time the crew are happily unravelling in a a haze of marijuana.

I won't give any more of the plot, or what happens apart from the final scene having one of the crew surfing off into the Pleiades, which is possibly Magic's picture. It is an absolute hoot, but I do remember being quite depressed afterwards.

The picture probably had more relevance and effect on me than most people. I was facinated with the nuclear bomb talking philosophy with the captain of the space craft. At the time I was involved in Military research and becoming aware of the direction computer controlled weaponry could take. Was this to be my contribution to Human Kind?

No!,----- Umm-m, so I became a teacher!!! And ended up here in my dotage!

Anybody remember what it is called?

kibosh likes this.
  19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Dark Star (1973) directed by a young John Carpenter as a student project. One of the cast (Dan O'Bannon) went on to script Alien. The film was a key influence on Rob Grant and Doug Naylor when they conceived Red Dwarf. If you think Interstellar was the first movie to address the downside of near light speed time dilation, think again.

The talking bombs may have been a play on the concept of 'smart munitions', but were more likely a piece of late hippy era whimsy.

It has an affectionate cult following among many SF movie fans, myself included.

kibosh and TCSC47 like this.
  20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So the only way we could detect them is because Black Holes collided?

How awesome is the universe! Mind is blown!

Wife doesn't get it...