1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The White Paper & GBs

Discussion in 'Governors' started by jfb57, Nov 27, 2010.

1. So..we know about the cuts. We know what is in the White Paper. How is your governing body going to square them. My LA is making cuts in school improvement. That may hit GBs hard. What will you do now that YOU have the responsibility? http://bit.ly/gxw27z

2. So..we know about the cuts. We know what is in the White Paper. How is your governing body going to square them. My LA is making cuts in school improvement. That may hit GBs hard. What will you do now that YOU have the responsibility? http://bit.ly/gxw27z

3. Sorry. Just what are you trying to say?

4. If your school no longer has support from a SIP or some of the LA officers, has your GB the skills to challenge the school to maintain (in some cases, achieve) the progress for all children that is required?

5. I am quite confident that collectively our GB has the skills to challenge. That is after all its primary role. Obviously if our LA ceased to provide some or all support services, then we would need to consider either buying in or strengthening the GB with governors who have the required skills and ability.

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

The arrogance of some Head Teachers can be pretty breath taking too ...

7. And a belated happy New Year to you as well Fred! The arrogance of amateurs is indeed at times astounding (especially when they cannot spell the word). I assume from your comments that in the 30 yrears of qualification as a teacher, you have found time to chair or run a multi-million pound company, become a finance director, qualify in personnel management (oops HR management) and acquire the political skills to negotiate effectively with the corporate sector and the wider community.
    A good governing body will (or should) collectively possess these skills and qualifications in order to give advice and guidance to the school's SLT and the amateur governor on the board - the ex-officio head teacher. Governing bodies do NOT improve childrens' education: they create the ethos and environment for teachers to do that under the leadership of the SLT and then monitor the effectiveness of thos professionals.
    If indeed it is your experience that you and your senior staff waste hours preparing papers (which are needed anyway as evidence for your Ofsted inspections) and sitting through long and rambling sessions, then I suspect that you and your CoG need to have a talk about board composition.
    As for the remarks you make about parent governor contribution, are you sure you are not confusing here the role of parent governors with a parent association?

8. sorry - those [​IMG]