1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The White Devil

Discussion in 'English' started by amylong, Nov 30, 2011.

1. amylong

amylong New commenter

Hello all,
    I have just finished teaching Webster's The White Devil with my year 13 students, and am unsure of what I should be doing with them. I have done a couple of exam questions already-does anyone have any inspiring ideas that the class would enjoy?

Regards,

Amy

2. amylong

amylong New commenter

Yes, thankyou Jarndyce for your reply-is there any chance you could copy/past the questions here, as then it'd give me some inspiration for planning lessons? I have never felt such a lack of ideas and mental blocking for a text...so stuck :(

3. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Sure. This is paraphrased, beware!:

Gothic texts: ?show supernatural intertwined with ordinary?, ?concerned with the breaking of moral/social codes?, ?must convey fear/terror?, ?have a fascination with death?, ?have settings full of menace?, ?explores humanity being powerless vs the supernatural?, ?have religion as a central theme?, ?explore nightmare terrors behind civilised mind?, ?present women as innocent victims/totally absent?, ?are melodramatic ? extremes of emotion cause disaster?, ?are always shocking?, ?have characters haunted by past mistakes?, ?express fear of forces beyond human understanding?, ?have good vs evil as central, good being rarely victorious?, ?unintentionally comic rather than truly terrifying?. Do You Agree?

TOPICS for section B (and various subtopics to help break them down/give links to others)

- The supernatural (religion, links to fear and horror, setting)

- Fear and horror (emotional content, hidden fear below civilised façade/nightmare, links to supernatural and macabre, the unheimlich)

- The macabre (death, physical description, links to setting, fear/horror)

- Transgression (breaking boundaries/codes, Prometheanism, the villain-hero, links to the unheimlich in audience reaction?)

- The Villain-Hero/Gothic protagonist/Flawed narrator (links to all above)

- (Gothic women, Gothic settings)

Obviously you'd have your own critical vocabulary. so would have to modify the above - my HoD loves the unheimlich so I've got that in! It's oversimplified, I know, but my (high ability) set are panicking so needed it presented nice and simply to convince them that, yes, I have actually taught them all about the Gothic and there's a strong chance they will be able to answer any question the board throws at them!

Today they worked in groups of 2 or 3 on each of the five topic areas, filling an A3 sheet with what we could use, in the three texts we've studied, to answer the questions. I'm adding in a few bits that they missed out, and a few AO4 points etc, but, after photocopying, it means they've now got revision sheets/essay plan material for most things that could come up.

4. amylong

amylong New commenter

Thankyou so much-I will now have ideas for lots of lessons and know what to look for as I readh through the other gothic texts!! :)

5. I taught this on a lit course many moons ago looked at:
    Jacobean theatre V Elizabethan theatre
    Women
    Machiavelli