1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The wheels are in motion

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by PeterQuint, Jan 2, 2020.

1. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Well, I filled in my online pension form today, for claiming in April.

I got an email a couple of hours later from TPS saying my old school/trust had said they're not my last/current employer.

I rang TPS who told me to ring the school. I did. The person handling it had gone home at lunch time.

2. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Have you left and done some supply? They may be a bit confused.

install and PeterQuint like this.
  3. PeterQuint

I was made redundant in the summer, and haven't worked as a teacher, or been in the teachers pension since.

To be fair, I’d worked there for 25 years, so I can see how they might have forgotten.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  4. Prim

Prim Occasional commenter

Perhaps this is the latest management initiative - dodge all teachers and pension liabilities and hope no one notices. Wouldn't put it past them today. Good luck, I'm sure you will enjoy setting this straight.

Best wishes with April.

PeterQuint likes this.
  5. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

They know they were employed by them but don’t know they were your last employer

PeterQuint and border_walker like this.
  6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Good luck. Hope you get it sorted

PeterQuint likes this.
  7. Brianthedog

Brianthedog Occasional commenter

Oooh exciting though! I put my online form in a year ago to the day, for retiring at Easter. I took a day break in service then returned part time, eventually retiring fully on 31st December.
    Just out of interest, if you're not now teaching, why wait until Easter for your pension?

PeterQuint likes this.
  8. PeterQuint

That could be said of anyone. In that case, every former employer should reject every pension request.

Why on Earth is it up to a former employer to say this anyway? Surely it’s up to them to confirm when I worked for them, and TPS to know whether they’ve received contributions from anyone else since.

Sundaytrekker and Morninglover like this.
  9. Treacle3

Treacle3 New commenter

Yes...except that in most cases people retire directly from the job they are last in - so maybe they've simply assumed you've been working somewhere else since?

10. PeterQuint

This is the problem.

It should never be their job to guess anything.

TPS should just ask them if the details they’ve already given are correct, then move forward with that. Why should I be involved at all?

As part of the process you’re asked if your employment history details are correct. It appears to becoming part of my job to chase round proving to TPS that I’ve not made any contribution to TPS that they don’t know about.

Bizarre!

11. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

It's a good thing to be asked if your employment history is correct. Your pension is based on the record they hold, they can't know if there's missing service, only you can. It would then be for you to chase it up with previous employers. I certainly had gaps, one employer left it some 2-3 years before they updated TPS.

Has your last employer now confirmed your ex-ness? It may be quicker if you opt-out, then you can just claim without any hindrance.

12. PeterQuint

I have absolutely no problem at all with them asking me to check my service history is correct. Indeed, I think it’s part of the application process.

I checked it. It’s right. I sent the form.

My former employer incorrectly said it wasn’t right. If that was the case, the information they’ve sent TPS is wrong.

So TPS cancel my application, and I have to run round clearing up the mess.

No, it’s not sorted yet. I’ll keep you posted.

13. PeterQuint

Quick update.

I received an email saying it was now sorted.

I completed my application for a second time, and around a week later I got an email from TPS saying the application was in. This time I presume there are no hold ups, as the last time it was rejected within an hour or two.

Fingers crossed.