1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The wheel of karma cometh full circle...

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Mrsmumbles, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Nicky Morgan is leaving politics. Gasp! Her words:

‘....the clear impact on my family and the other sacrifices involved in, and the abuse for, doing the job of a modern MP can only be justified if, ultimately, Parliament does what it is supposed to do – represent those we serve in all areas of policy, respect votes cast by the electorate and make decisions in the overall national interest.’
    Wow.
    So Nicky Morgan is stepping down because she feels got at on social media, overworked, bullied, not respected, hassled, exhausted and generally made to feel like a cow pat. She suffered ‘abuse’ and her own private life affected her family life. Probably health as well. She feels that parliament needs to think about the national interest. Right. Okaaay. So...all her years in post at the department of education, pushing the jokes known as academies, ignoring teachers’ pleas for support and, along with Gove, making teachers’ lives genuinely miserable, stressed, riddled with bullying and depression...can we not see the irony here? Still, she is sure to do well in her next almost guaranteed consultancy/giving chats at her old girls’ school/ presenting/ Laughborogh teashop role.
    Of course, this in no way suggests that she too has been squashed by the wheel of karma and is finally getting a taste of her own Govian medicine. Oh no. No irony to see here, chaps. Move along.
    But..respectfully: Maybe don’t bleat on about working difficulties which are a mere fluff-ball compared to the living torments you and your department inflicted on thousands of decent teachers.

2. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

hear hear!

TCSC47 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Trouble is, who will replace her?
    Although she was an unhelpful Education Secretary, she did seem to have some elements of concern for the nation rather than being a slash and burn, destroy the state Tory of the sort who seem increasingly prevalent in the new party.

4. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Probably been offered a higher paid corporate lawyer post elsewhere earning close to a million a year. These politicians have so many high profile, international contacts, in fact being in politics sets you and your family up for life.

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Not sure what you mean. We've already had 3 SoS for Education since Nicky Morgan?

6. bessiesmith2

bessiesmith2 New commenter

I wasn't impressed by Nicky Morgan as an education secretary but I do think it is worrying that so many female MPs are standing down, citing abuse as the reason. To have a functioning democracy we need MPs to be able to carry out their jobs without fearing for their lives or the safety of their families. It is concerning that so many people don't understand that you can passionately disagree with someone without threatening violence.

7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I mostly meant as a senior Tory MP. I have no great love for The Conservative Party, and I was not particularly impressed by Mrs Morgan in her role as Ed sec.
    However, when I have heard her on the news more recently she has come across as a thoughtful politician who does sometimes take account of the good of the nation.
    The gut feeling I have about the Tory Party, and I am happy to be corrected by those who consider me wrong, is that it is moving to the shrill authoritarian "small state" point of view with a hard line on Brexit.
    I know they've promised lots of money for education and the NHS, but after 9 years of austerity and penny pinching, I still remain to be convinced that this money will be real and extra money compared to what was going to spent anyway.

This too. Absolutely.

TCSC47 and Rott Weiler like this.
  8. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

There is an article from Poly Toynbee in the Guardian which basically points out that she is one of the moderate tories and if she's jumping ship then what...……!?
    Unfortunately I agree, if she is the (unwanted) voice of moderation as seen by Tories then what is the Right-Thinking choice of minister going to be?

9. Mrsmumbles

Well...to me she was and always will be a smug, pro-Gove boggle-eyed zealot. Expecting any Tory minister for education to be any good is like expecting a member of O’Bren’s Thought Police to indulge in a bit of Sunday morning quilt-making.

TCSC47 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  10. Mrsmumbles

Yep. Scum.

TCSC47 and catbefriender like this.
  11. Mrsmumbles

You can despise and rightfully berate an idiot in government online when they take colossal salaries and achieve next to nothing without threatening violence. I have a rich linguistic reserve! What gets me is that so many of these political creatures expect to collect all the salary, prestige, juicy pension, networking points, Twitter twit likes and all the other nonsense which enables them to amass money and influence quickly...yet not put the work in, in the right way. Power comes with responsibilities, yet so few MPs realise this. Many (not all, but far too many) are a self-entitled breed, expecting to be worshipped and unfailingly respected without delivering the goods. Gove and Morgan presided over the implementation of fast track teacher dismissals dressed up as performance ‘improvement’, fracturing and destroying departmental talent pools and cohesiveness across the UK and trumpeting capability as the Great New Plan to Drive Up Standards and Let Every Child Shine And Sparkle on Plant Talent (?) Show Dave. Utter tosh. Her lot, her party and her government lack ALL capability, yet remain in office, taking their pay. This is why so many people have resorted to social media; it is a diverse mix of the hacked off and certainly not all racist sexists! Yes it is sad to see women go, but if they are as deluded and hypocritical as Morgan, we can cope, ta. As many women juggle family and work a d are time poor and, hopefully, some retain basic empathy, it doesn’t surprise me that many are quitting toxic politics now. Just think that is a different issue.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  12. Mrsmumbles

Jacob Trump!

13. Mrsmumbles

Who replaced her? Well, it may be best to see Tory role reshuffling as akin to the lopping off of a Hydra head...turn around and another identikit gorgonic lump stands there leering and drooling at you like a Ridley Scott Alien. So...maybe one of these chaps are ready to replace Our Gav, the current head? By the way, this little shop is a treasure trove for all your teacher Secret Santa needs... A844C58B-EA08-4161-928E-B8FA68BB0587.png
    https://www.snorkersimaginarium.com/shop/christmas-cards-pack-of-5