1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

THE wedding - avoidance tactics?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by guinnesspuss, Apr 28, 2011.

1. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

OH and son definitely don't want to watch it. What is anyone else doing to avoid it?

2. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I am going to watch and I think you should make your children watch it too.
    Just for evil fun.

3. Setting off on a cycling holiday. Bags are packed and ready to go.

4. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Leaving the country.

5. inq

inq

Tutoring.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I am embracing it!

7. Going to a spa

8. going to church to tidy and re-orgnise cupboards
    will download some tv to watch while i work

9. planning in the morning (will have it on in the background, as I want to see the dress)
    meeting up with a mate in the afternoon

10. I'm going to Trafalgar Square - won't see a thing from there! [​IMG]

11. My husband has gone fishing! He went today and is not planning to return until Saturday afternoon, this was a deliberate trip to avoid the wedding. I will be mostly baking for our youngest daughter's birthday on Sunday....it will be on in the background as I want to see the dress!

12. guinnesspuss

LOL Bit extreme, but I'm sure OH and son (22 by the way and not able to make him do anything) would love to go far away.

13. guinnesspuss

I want to see the dress too.... and the rest!

14. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I suspect not turning the tv on would avoid it quite easily without fuss.
    I'll be watching it as no other country does pomp and ceremony quite as well as we do, so on that level it's a world class event. Not keen on the monarchy per se though.

15. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Are you me????! [​IMG]
    Actually, my lad is on nights tomight, so he'll be sleeping through a good part of tomorrow and then he'll be... off fishing!!
    Leaving me free to slurp fizzy wine, goggle at the telly and enjoy a little piece of British history being made.
    Everyone's a winner. [​IMG]

16. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Can I suggest the "*** to the royal wedding" party.
    Tomorrow, Weston Park, Sheffield.

I bet Cleggy is well chuffed that this is happening in his constituency.

17. I'm having a "Harry Potter - a- thon"

18. Embracing it..slobbing about in my PJ's, eating nibbles will be the only excersize I'll do and totally enjoying my extra day off.

19. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

Have no time for the monarchy myself at all, but I must admit as was said to me earlier, it is nice to see happy news all day and celebrate young love. Does always perplex me how total strangers seem to force themselves to cry and pretend they are 'oh, so deeply touched' by it all....but OK it does no harm and we have a day free of death and murder all the time on the tv.

20. Pretty much ditto, Dumpty

I am anti-royal but I am pro-romance

I am also, generally, pro-tradition ... comes with age I think as I was indifferent to Charles and Di getting wed

It is easy to get pulled along with the hype and it is always nice to feel a part of something

i will not force my children to watch (as my Mother did with Charles, Di, and myself) but will encourage
    it as I think that it is good to be a part of National events

We live in Northamptonshire and the last Royal "event" I took notice of was Diana's funeral ...
    we went to watch them bring her body off the motorway ... surreal but it was interesting to "participate"
    rather than just live through the telly so I can see why those people are sleeping on the Mall