1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The water in Majorca...

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by princessmelody, Jul 17, 2011.

1. princessmelody

princessmelody New commenter

I didn't even think of that! We're staying with MIL but just looked online without mentioning babies and the water isnt drinkable in Majorca because of high sodium content- so I guess that is out the window (Clematis- I had thought the same as you about boiling).
    Anyone know which bottled water is low sodium?! Or Spanish for sodium!!!
    Lily- all those cartons! I'd be worried they would leak in my suitcase!

2. You can drink alcohol while breastfeeding! The amount transferred in milk is tiny and it leaves your system relatively quickly - one unit/hr. While I wouldnt go on a bender, I have drunk several glasses of wine over the course of an evening and fed with no ill effects. Just thought I'd mention in case it would resolve your water dilemma.

3. Find out if they sell the cartons in spain.
    Hope you have fun!

4. PM - look for chemical symbol for sodium on label of bottled water. I may be mistaken (GCSE chemistry in the dim and distant past) but I think it's Na. I took lots of cartons away when we went to France (convenience more than water) but used hardly any in the end.

5. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

Yes Na for sodium, NaCl for sodium chloride (salt). I would be tempted to take cartons too, but then I'm too lazy to make up bottles on holiday!

6. princess i was at a lunch today with a new mum who has just been to spain on holiday. She said that there's bottled water suitable for babies that is available everywhere-and has a picture of a baby on it so is obvious. Also she washed the bottles in it.

7. I don't have any personal experience of this, but was chatting to a mum today who just takes water purifying tablets away with her and then uses tap water.

8. princessmelody

princessmelody New commenter

Thanks for the advice ladies- I don't know what I'd do without this forum! Am now feeling more relaxed about the whole trip- but totally understands why my mum always wrote loads of lists....

9. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

How much would it cost to ask Aptimal, SMA or hwatever to post themto your holiday address?Surely not a lot?Worth asking maybe?

10. What do they do in Majorca with bottle-fed babies? I'm guessing there must be some suitable water there. I seem to vaguely remember when I asked the HV about going to Portugal that even if the sodium content in bottled water was a little bit higher than the average tap water, she seemed to think it wouldn't be a problem over a holiday.

11. Does anyone else read this thread title and have a My Fair Lady moment? The rain in Spain...the water in Majorca...

12. ha ha -
    I agree with your earlier comment re wine - I don't go mad but have had some vino whilst breast feeding.

13. I was told that Evian is suitable for babies so looked at the mineral content of Evian and found a local water with the same levels.
    Lots of water in Spain has a very high salt level so isn't suitable for drinking no matter how much you boil it or add purification tablets. Lots of bottled water is marked as suitable for infant feeding which is, I think, alimentacion infantil. Very easy to find and usually very cheap because Spamiards buy so much of it.

14. Ive just returned from abroad and Evian does have an acceptable sodium content. I did read that it should be less than 20mg but the best should be less than 10mg. I also noticed that in the supermarkets (the main ones that the locals use) sold baby water in the baby section for use with formula. Formula can also be ordered for collection at Boots at the airport.

15. Can't remember the name of the water we bought over there, but we got it from the spar supermarket for about 1 euro. It had a special symbol of it like a child that meant it was safe to use. My SIL also bought some cartons in the airport (she pre-ordered) and took them on as hand luggage - unwiehghed as she got them after check in xx