1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The virus only gets you after midnight

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Sep 17, 2020.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-54188766

Coronavirus: New restrictions in north-east England

The restrictions, which will be reviewed weekly, also mean restaurants will only be able to offer table service and restaurants, bars and pubs will have to shut between 22:00 BST and 05:00.

https://newsthump.com/2020/09/17/go...ers-to-just-go-out-a-couple-of-hours-earlier/

The government is set to introduce tough new measures this week in the northeast of England which could see a strict 10 pm curfew imposed on pubs and restaurants in the region, forcing drinkers, to have to head out a couple of hours earlier instead.

As infections continue to rise in the UK, millions of drinkers across the country at risk of catching the disease may now have to start drinking at least two hours earlier under new government guidelines to reduce the risk of infection.

Welcoming the news this morning, heavy drinker Simon Williams, from Newcastle told us, “They had to act I suppose, we canny go on like this, it’s not safe man.

“With all that coronavirus out there really late at night, we need to get people off the streets man and get them home by 10 pm before they can catch it.

“I normally go out with the lads about five or six o clock at weekend and stay out till around midnight, but now I’m gonna have to head out about three, instead, or maybe midday, just to be nice and safe like.

“I’m glad we’ll be home before ten though as I usually get all huggy and kissy when I’m ****** or fancy a bit of a fight on the way home when it’s late, so I can get all that in around 9 pm now, before the virus starts coming out and infecting everyone.

“I just hope everyone takes it as seriously as me and gets out drinking as early as they can.”

2. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

Ah, nothing like a cheap sneer at Geordies to amuse the Mackems and all points south....

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

TCSC47 and sodalime like this.
  4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

There's always at least one critic to whatever the government tries:p

5. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

I wouldn't take it to heart, @Katzenjammer. There are sufficient regional differences in all four corners of our nation for satire against government policy to be had. I'd post similar if the Home counties were in lockdown. The point being made of course, is that it makes no difference where a lockdown like this happens, a policy like this makes no sense at all.

6. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

What was that film about sweet little creatures who become ravening beasts if fed after midday?

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Gremlins.

(And it was midnight!)

agathamorse likes this.
  8. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I just remembered. When can you feed them?

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Theoretically never, because before any midnight will be after another one.

10. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

That was always my thinking.

It was unanswered flaw in an otherwise entirely credible film.

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Daughters?

12. EmanuelShadrack

There was a series "Wives and Daughters" too.

racroesus likes this.
  13. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Lead commenter

This cannot be enforced can it? i pity the poor police who have to tell your Northern Englanders who were forced to go back to work that they can't blow off steam down the town on a Friday/Saturday night

oooooooft...........Good Luck

agathamorse and phlogiston like this.
  14. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Beat me to it.

nomad likes this.
  15. EmanuelShadrack

I don't see it happening.

Those who should most follow the rules won't, and those who will be following the rules are the ones who were most likely being sensible anyway.

Still, I don't expect the government to be too bothered. Having people to blame is a very useful diversion.