1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The view of teachers by the public

Discussion in 'Staff, pupil & parent's wellbeing' started by Robfreeman, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

Whilst i think many people are generally very understanding of the current time, i do worry with the failiure to lly fureopen schools being squarely and unfairly blamed on us that the supportive(ish) atmosphere we have experienced may soon evaporate.

Afterall the ed sec seems to have been seen taking on the role of the opinion we are militant unionised members who are lazy (or thats how i see his actions towards the job)

Already im being asked about are we opening through the summer.
    Ive been shouted at by students in the street and sworn at not just once.

Is anyone else encountering a hardening of views?

SummerSkies and agathamorse like this.
  2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Students demanding to go to schools during the summer holidays? That's a turn up for the books!

3. Robfreeman

I meant parents asking, sorry.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

For God’s sake, never venture on to Mumsnet then, we are torn to shreds every day!

5. letap

letap Occasional commenter

Gavin Williamson is perceived by many as being not particularly competant. So rightfully he is going to get a lot of the heat, clearly he will try to deflect the blame onto others, but I'm not sure how successful he will be. The students you refer to above are a£45holes and probably behave like that with others - so I would not respect their opinions very much. In general, if the British public are not prepared to give the role of educators any form of respect then they will get the education provision they deserve.

6. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I think that the Press view us as potentially dangerous because we're educated and can probably to an extent sustain a reasoned argument. The press turn the general public against us and it's always when ' youngster' are seen to be suffering. ( not going to school etc)
    They forget that without the constant daily vigilance of teachers and the safe guarding hats they wear, thousands of children would continue to suffer neglect, abuse and emotional anguish from those they trust most -their parents.

7. Bungie

Bungie Occasional commenter

Teachers who can't spell or punctuate alienate the public.

8. Robfreeman

@Bungie
    You are of course right my punctuation and spelling is sometimes not upto standard. I frequently ask my students if they notice glaring spelling errors to point them out. I have struggled all my life with those things. It wasn't until I was in my 20's and doing post grad i got sent to ed psyc but someone who noticed whilst i could speed read i would mispronounce words and couldn't punctuate. Turns out i'm quite dyslexic. I try never to let it get the better of me, I don't tell my students i just say my spellings a bit off and when i mispronounce something i just say its because i'm not from around the area my school is in which tends to work ok.

Whilst i try my best to proof read all my work one of the issues is that its difficult to notice spellings when only a letter is missing and punctuation doesn't always seem to be wrong. It does also make marking a bit interesting as im an incredibly slow writer and cant spell check. To mark 30 books will quite easily take 3 or 4 hours. For which when i tried once to explain why i have trouble marking got told well it needs to be done to the same standard as everyone else.

However i would like you to explain how this alienates the public?

9. christubbs

christubbs New commenter

I think a lot of joe public are ignorant about the demands of teaching today, e.g. behaviour, marking, parents, tightrope walking. They are also jealous of the holidays despite the fact there is always marking/planning to be done (sometimes even in the summer #BTEC).

If it was such an easy job though why are there so many ex-teachers? Teaching is like performing 22/23 1 hour plays a week...except the audience frequently heckles, fight with each other and call in for back up from their parents/HOY/HOD/SLT etc.!!!!

I am not saying that there are not many difficult jobs, but teaching is hard, especially the first few years.

Jonntyboy, kegz, tenpast7 and 4 others like this.
  10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I love binge reading Mumsnet threads by searching "complaint about teacher".
    Seriously! It's a smug lesson in how not to be a parent, a bit like reading TV Quick to remind oneself how not to be a journalist.

11. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Many people much less well paid than teachers, such as supermarket staff, bin men and bus drivers have continued working throughout the pandemic. Yet teachers still seem to think it's too dangerous to go back to work.

jarndyce and Jonntyboy like this.
  12. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Without a doubt but it is more down to the lack of a guarantee that the 'we just cannot do it' attitude will be gone Sep 1. And that is 100% understandable.

The teachers/the unions/the government MUST now make it clear when and how ALL kids will go back. Most parents were and are willing to accept no school now or to Sep but only on the basis that would be it.

And this - we are allowing kids (and adults/teachers) to go to the zoo, visit family, go to (all) shops, go to parks and beaches yet we simply find it too much to get them back to school?

13. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I've worked through the pandemic and I'm in school full time now. So are all my colleagues.

14. Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe New commenter

My local supermarket is 10 times the size of one classroom that takes 30 students - they wont take more than 10 customers in. All the till operators are behind shielding.

15. crumbleskates

crumbleskates Occasional commenter

Maybe the healthy teachers who have been at home since lockdown, and are not going back could do a week each of the summer schools? Take a week off now.

16. Tartuffe

Tartuffe Occasional commenter

The teachers at the school where I am a governor have all been working full time throughout, whether at home creating for the virtual classroom or in school on a rota with Key Worker\Vulnerable children. From next week all will be in school as we will increase to around 1/4 of normal population and will have 14 bubbles each with 1 staff + 1 TA. There will be staff with PPA time who will be keeping the virtual classroom going. We are now looking to see how we can get more into contact while keeping things safe.

17. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I've never worked so hard as I have over these 12 weeks. I'm not scared to go back. I'm scared of dying.

Marisha, install, Newidentity and 5 others like this.
  18. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Teaching always has and will probably continue to be, the one profession that everyone thinks they can do, everyone has an opinion about, but, the least understood.
    If you blamed a doctor for your obesity but refused to get off your lardy a***e and do anything about it, common sense would deem this ludicrous. But what entitled-Joe public/general society expects now is that darling Jim/Jemina-Bob can fail to apply himself/herself to their learning and at home can mess around on MInecraft (with minimal disturbance to parental emotional and intellectual absence) and still pass all standards/exams etc and if they don't - well it's the teachers' fault.

It's an inverted, worldy system that blames the most giving members and relieves the others of any personal responsibility. The more you give, the more is then expected and also taken for granted. The only time we notice public services usually, is when they are taken away.

I have been working online harder than I ever normally do as a supply teacher and I have to say I'm loving it - probably, I don't have crappy drivers around me on daily commutes, because I get to plan my own creative resources, rather than simply deliver schools, because I teeter on the edge of type A personality and have to be busy lol but home/work edges are blurring and I have had parents contact me at gone 11.30pm and before 7 -8pm There is a general onus from society, which I believe will increase, as people generally as a collective become more and more narcissistic - worse times are ahead yet - brace yourself for more politicised teacher bashing and more talking out of their necks from those who THINK they know about education but have never taught and probably couldn't.

19. elder_cat

elder_cat Lead commenter

If the general public feel it is the teachers/school/unions who oppose fully re-opening schools, why would you expect them to lay the blame at anyone else's door? I suspect the majority of them see a set of guidelines dished out by the government, which then get picked apart with the ultimate goal of preventing the schools from re-opening at any price. I'm not suggesting that's true, simply that it may well be a view shared by a large part of the adult population.

Me too. Nothing to do with coronavirus - hadn't been invented then. You just suck it up and move on.

I don't imagine they would have much respect for your opinions either, given you view them as a£45holes.

What form should this respect take? Should medals be struck ? Teachers, like a great many others, do a job for which they get paid. If they are unhappy with their lot, then they are free to move elsewhere. I don't quite see what is it about teachers as a group, that means they should be any more deserving of respect than anyone else?

They will get whatever provision is available. Whether they deserve it or not is another matter.

I imagine there are others who also meet those criteria. Some of whom may form their opinions of educators around what they read on these public TES forums.

I don't think they are ignorant of those requiremets. More likely that they just think they are part and parcel of the job teachers are paid to do.

Because times change, and the requirements of the job change also. There may well be teachers who were happy to do the job up to point, but then decided enough is enough and threw in the towel. I was one of those.

Yes, teaching is hard. It's demanding both physically and mentally. That said, speaking as someone who worked in a number of sectors before ever entering teaching, I can assure you there are a number of jobs that are every bit as hard, and in many cases the hardship doesn't just last for the first few years.

Then you and your colleagues deserve recognition and thanks from the parents of those children you have had in your care in these testing times.

Then all schools that cannot accomodate the required number of pupils safely should remain closed. Perhaps we should start building Nightingale Schools?

Would not some of those healthy teachers have been working from home?

Then there may be some who would consider you to be fortunate.

I imagine there are also many others working outside education who feel the same.

Maybe not the only one ... Lawyers, Doctors, Architects, Politicians ......

Your point about parents seeking to absolve themselves of responsibility may be valid, but I doubt you'll ever get them to change their behaviour by the use of disparaging terms such as 'entitled-Joe Public' or 'darling Jim/Jemima Bob', especially when you consider that 'entitled-Joe public' can view these threads as easily as you and I.

Nothing new here. I'm 65 years old, and this has always been the case.

You'll have to form an orderly queue, and they'll get around to you when they can. At the moment, they're more concerned with pulling down statues and rewriting history, whilst running out of fingers to point at those in public office for their mishandling of the covid-19 thing.

To reiterate - Nothing new here. I'm 65 years old, and this has always been the case.

20. gjknight

gjknight New commenter

I am back with a third of my class and have been told to expect more to be added to the group, but I'm finding it very hard to understand and accept that I can't visit or be indoors with my 2 grandchildren who are both preschool age but it's perfectly acceptable to look after up to 15 unrelated children from 15 different households and not expect them to be 2 metres from me. I know that my grandchildren have not been mixing with others but have no idea what my class have been doing or who they have been meeting out of school - apart from what they write in their news!

I don't want to be a hero, I want to be there for my grandchildren. But I feel so vulnerable back in school. We were given the option of unpaid leave or return to school on 1st June even if children did not return. But parents can choose to keep their children 'safe' at home. What would the public say if teachers chose to stay at home?