1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The view from here: 'The once-respected profession of teaching has been demonised by politicians'

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Feb 1, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

3. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Agreed.

4. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

As Simon Cowell would say an unequivocal yes from me.

5. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Thank you all for responding to the thread. What can be done to change things?

6. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Different politicians.

7. applecrumblebumble

Get rid of this government or better still remove education from government interference.

8. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

The language that politicians use when speaking about education needs to change. They aren't careful enough to avoid blaming teachers for some of the many problems we've got.
    Another thing that needs to change is the level of trust politicians have in us. They appear to forget that we've been trained to the standards they've prescribed so if we're not good enough it's they're fault!
    So many things need to change actually :(.

9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Remove the blame culture
    Remove Ofsted
    Stop moving the goalposts at every turn
    Plan any changes, so they can be implemented effectively and ensure that there are proper criteria and the opportunity to review.
    Insist that the education system is organised by education professionals and has nothing to do with politicians who have no understanding
    Fund school buildings and education staff properly

emerald52 likes this.
  10. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

The article is by a teacher from New Jersey about politicians in the US. Don't imagine any of these suggestions would make a difference.

11. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Have more teachers go into politics.

12. applecrumblebumble

Yes but where do our politicians get their ideas? That's why it needs to be removed from them.

13. wanet

wanet Star commenter

New role for all of those who ask what can I do instead of teaching - go into politics. Solves 2 problems!

14. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Politicians could stop demonising teachers.

15. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

Change the electorate seems the only feasible solution to me.

Or, if that is too radical, then start by banning parents and teachers from voting.

Why?

Because I for one have zero confidence in both the parents and the teachers who, decade after decade, keep voting for the political clowns with the ever more preposterous education policies which have brought us to this sorry pass

16. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It would be nice to remove education from the politicians, but it ain't going to happen, the same with removing ofsted. This government has had an agenda of cutting the cost of public services, part of that involves the denigration of the current group of public servants, so they can be replaced by cheaper ones - or that the self esteem of these public servants is damaged, they'll tolerate any changes to T& C just to keep their jobs.

The politicians have been aided by the unpleasant support of a number of newspapers. Sadly Rupert Murdoch hasn't had to economise much as a consequence of my choice of a more balanced Sunday paper.
    Easy to point fingers, harder to find a good refutation - although the Sunday Times did once publish one of mine.

Sadly, most politicians do not use the service available to most people, so escape the consequences of their action.

17. margie2

margie2 New commenter

18. margie2

margie2 New commenter

The Guardian article (link above) really says it all. Excerpt:

A couple of years ago, he says, he lost one of his art teachers. “She was absolutely brilliant,” he says. “The kids loved art; she switched them on to it. I was loving it, seeing kids wanting to do art, and doing really well in the exams. And then she said: ‘I can’t cope with it. I go home every night, and I cry.’ She got out of teaching and she’s doing something completely different now.

It’s a small story: one regrettable episode in the midst of thousands. But in all kinds of ways, it means a lot. “She was an absolutely amazing teacher,” he says, quietly. “A massive loss.”