1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Video Games Thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by CraigCarterSmith, Aug 31, 2017.

1. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

now i may be "too old" or "too square" to be considered a 'gamer' but i have found myself getting more invested in this medium and tend to use it as a relaxation or escapism

just curious to see how many other gamer's we have on TES and what are your top 5 games (not a particular order)

1. Final Fantasy X (or 7 its a toss up) - ps2/3/4
    2. Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Sega MegaDrive
    3. Papers Please - PC
    4. Uncharted 2 (most of the series) - Ps3/4
    5. Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

1. Legend of Zelda - a Link to the Past [SNES]
    2. Illusion of time [SNES]
    3. Dragon's Dogma [XBox 360]
    4. Original REsident Evil [PS1]
    5. Dragon Age Inquisition [XBox 360]
    :)
    I have not 'outgrown' gaming but simply don't have the time. If I did, there are lots that I would like to try.

cwilson1983 likes this.
  3. Owennnn

Owennnn Occasional commenter

My students are always surprised to hear I'm a gamer, and even more surprised when I show them my name in the credits for some of their favourites!

Bonnie23 and CraigCarterSmith like this.
  4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

The only one that I play is Real Racing 3 on my iPad. I have been on it constantly over the holidays.

I used to play Game of War - fire age but I stopped when I realised that I was spending a fortune on in app purchases (it was in the 000's) and it became an addiction.

I no longer spend money on RR3

5. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Over the years.
    1 Heroes and Generals
    2 Max Payne
    3 Tomb Raider
    4 Combat Flight Simulator
    5 Silent Hunter

6. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

(forgot Zombies Ate my Neigbours (SNES))
    And Secret of Mana

happypug likes this.
  7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Pac-Man.

(In a pub once)

Mangleworzle, lanokia and needabreak like this.
  8. sannas

sannas Occasional commenter

I loved Civilisation: Test of Time, but unfirtunately upgraded computers mean I can no longer play it!

9. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Me too for Civ- I probably lost the plot on it though. I felt that Civ 4 wasn't as good as 3 so I stopped upgrading at that point and stuck with what I liked.- Though I think Civilisation: Test of Time predates Civ 3.

Recently I've got into March of Empires.

10. sannas

Yeah, Test of Time was Civ 2, had either 3 or 4, which I also enjoyed, but went back to 2 as it was my favourite.

Enjoyed Time Splitters on PS2 as well, and the early Need for Speed games.

11. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Civ 4 was the one where you have religion as well as politics to play with- and I think the little characters on civ 3 were better too.

I never had a PS anything , nor an X-box. If it wouldn't run on my PC I had no interest.

12. sannas

Preferred games on the PC too, remember it was quite cutting edge that you could play Civ over MSN messenger.

13. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Command and Conquer is one of the best games ever. Diablo is pretty cool! I've got a plastic bow full of old PC games and an XP machine that should play them all assuming it turns on once I get it out of storage.

I also have a Wii and whilst I picked up a cheap PS3 a couple of years ago to catch up on some console gaming. Although I've hit a level of 2nd hand extravogance and have recently picked up a 2nd PS3 as it was going free to a good home :)

14. CraigCarterSmith

I hear they are making an Age of Empires IV i can't explain how much i loved those games and being truly tyrannical

Actually thinking of that, they haven't made a good "god" game in a while, i look back fondly on Populous

Mangleworzle likes this.
  15. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Battlechess and Pong were the only games I ever stood a chance with, I don't much enjoy all the crashing and reversing that goes on when I attempt racing games or all the "head shots" I receive on COD... (anyone would think I couldn't drive or shoot, oh wait... I can't shoot).

I've the patience for candy crush but it isn't really a video game is it?

As for tomb raider, every time I play it for 5 mins I feel the need to go out for a run, then crash into the bloody trees at the end of the road.

16. CraigCarterSmith

Diablo 3 is incredible, it just keeps going...The Wii was a powerhouse, If recently got a ps3 you can look forward to an incredible back catalogue of games (Red Dead Redemption, Uncharted trilogy, Shadow of the Colossus) to name just a few, and best of all they will be rock bottom prices :)

17. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I've got a good chunk of older PS3 games already but the 40gb memory of the 1st PS3 I got was full and I didn't want to delete any of the games as I'm playing them, or was, at the time. I'm loving Dragon Age Origins and am looking forward to getting back on with that. I also love the lego games.

18. CraigCarterSmith

DA:O was also great, Bioware had a cracking run of games back then

Stay away from DA2 - that path is full of shattered dreams :(

19. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I'll bear that in mind. Also the Fallout games are another great series.

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Fallout 3
    Fallout New Vegas
    Fallout 4
    Skyrim
    Dragon Age Origins
    Dragon Age Inquisition [I skipped DA 2 because the reviews were dire]
    Assassins Creed 2 plus spin offs.
    Gears of War 1 and 2
    Mass Effect
    Mass Effect 2 [didn't go near 3 or Andromeda]

Erm...

Europa Universallis 3... god how much time have I wasted on that!
    Various editions of Civilisation... loved number 2 and repeatedly replaying the WWII version.