1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The use of technology in PE

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by stuartdivers, Jun 12, 2011.

1. I am looking in to the use of photography and video in PE and Games lessons, as a tool for coaching on a one to one basis and also as a tool to enable peer assesment and AFL.

If anyone has experience with this and can contribute ideas for additional use, projects/work, numbers needed and any specific make or models that they have found useful, please can you reply. I am looking to formulate the plans with a view to introducing in september and therefore need to get going over the next few weeks.

Cost would of course be a factor, unfortunately.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Bevi1

Bevi1 New commenter

This past year, I have been using a flipcamera in my lessons as a tool for self and peer assessment. I have taped students in various activities and because the camera plugs in and plays, we have been able to quickly discuss/analyse their performance and then go back out and adapt their actions within the same lesson. I have also used it with non-participants. I give them a specific focus and ask them to tape any evidence of this in the lesson. They then provide feedback for the class/individual students.
    It has been a fantastic tool for analysis and in one class, the year 7 students were able to focus on how they could have changed tactics to be more effective. They were able to watch their own performance and then act in the role of the coach to suggest ways of improving it.
    The keys to it being successful were that they flip camera was easy to operate, small and teh video was very easy to access. I was also fortunate enough to have a computer and monitor readily available in the PE office next to the gym. (a smartboard would have been even better!)
    This meant that the whole process was quick and could be planned or spontaneous.
    Hope that helps.

3. Tiara oh oh oh, tiara oh oh oh....

4. I too use flipcams (in FE) for lots of the reasons above!
    They can be quite cheap and even waterproof!! Check out Amazon. You could get 3 - 4 of them for the price of a camcorder and they are so much more versatile and simple to use!
    I'd be a bit lost without mine now!

5. you can use Dartfish software to import any video including flip cams and then split the screen and compare with an elite model also you can annotate key positions on the video and save them with the video as evidence. Call me and I can put you in contact with a nearby school that uses dartfish. Derek Stewart 01793 978785

6. If cost is an issue like it has been at our school then we have got the pupil's to use thier own phones as a camera and camcorder as 90% of pupil's own a fairly decent phone. It has worked really well with our lads and we didn't need a computer or projector. Pupil's filmed each other with a specific focus. Re-played the clips and made coaching points to adapt the pupil's performance. Would recommend flip camera's etc.. but this is a very effective and easy to apply alternative (our pupil's are relatively trust worthy as well which helped, but did work with class sizes of 30+)

7. Could you give us an idea of the cost? I'm a little loathe to contact them and get yet more salespeople calling me for the next 6 months [​IMG]

8. For a very cheap (FREE!) Video analysis and physics modelling tool, try Tracker http://www.cabrillo.edu/~dbrown/tracker/
    I've used it to analyse golf swings, shot on an iPhone. Works great, and did I mention it was free? :) Jonesy

9. If cost is an issue or you want to evaluate the usefulness of video analysis before investing cash into the project then there's a lot of freeware video analysis software packages that do the same as dartfish for basic analysis (timing, distances, angles), Kinovea is a good one, and there's also 3D analysis freeware such as Skillspector.
    Also, MMU have a whole host of online video analysis instructional clips that you may find useful as a teaching resource...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BiomechanicsMMU?blend=21&ob=5#p/c/E90993667582FD1D/0/wK-0ovaKv2Q
    I'd agree with the previous comment too that Flip cameras are very good for such work too (quick to setup, record and transfer), although you may also want to invest in a better quality camera to supplement the Flip (or Flip type) cameras so you have control over shutter speed etc.
    If you do have access to any funds then the Casio Exilim EX-F1 is a very good still camera and video camera (that also has HD video, and High speed capture at up to 1200fps), even the still camera can run at 60fps, very versatile for the price and there are cheaper ones in the range that have similar features.
    If you (or any of your students) have access to ipods, iphones, or ipads then this may also be worth a look as it uses the in-built camera...
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vernier-video-physics/id389784247?mt=8
    I would suggest that if you are going to use video and a software package, check the software supports the video format of your camera choice or that you have access to video convertors.
    You might also want to think about live or delayed streaming of the video, especially for larger groups or demonstrations, in which case, you'll need to look at cameras and software that support that also, such as using firewire.

10. Hi there do you think that theuse of an ipad would be a similar sort of thing and useful for a decent sized screen so you could use feedback and analysis but also to show kids image or video of a skill and say this is what a level 5 person is, a level 6 etc etc, this could be stored and you have a good way of moderating your own lessons.
    I understand this may take time to shoot and capture but does anyone do this or use an ipad in PE as i think for use in and around school the possibilities are fanatsic.
    I also understand flip cameras are good and using peoples own phones but money is soo tightto get them. I think an ipad with all the apps that other people have said about on here would work well.
    Any thoughts would be greatfully recieved as im keen to get an ipad 2 or 3 depending on what this new one is like.

11. To be honest we use flip cams as well. However we have recently incorporated some ipad use as well. Good article about this on the front page of helpmeteach.co.uk which if you teach A Level PE is a must for resources if you have none like me!!

12. I am lucky enough to be piloting the use of an ipad in PE. It is fantastic if you have the right apps. I think it is useful in practical as well as theory. I have used it in Girls Football, Gymnastics, Trampolining, Dance and Weight Lifting lessons for a range of ages and abilities.
    Obviously having some sort of video app is important but some apps are better than that. Check out 'Coach's Eye' app. You can record, review, slow motion, fastforward, rewind but best of all pause and annotate with arrows, shapes and lines (different colours). It also has the option of sharing through a text message, email, you tube and camera roll. The website will give you an easy to follow tutorial but it is easy peasy to use. Pupils love it although prefer you to delete it after the analysis.
    There is also a range of fitness apps to give teachers new exercise ideas as well as many linked to GCSE and A Level theory - my most recent which i love is the 'Virtual Heart' app but checking out the medical apps for anatomy & physiology are also helpful. Then there are the 'Inside the games' app - website also, for able bodied and paralympics.
    I am searching for a lead where i can link the ipad to an interactive whiteboard if anyone has any ideas?

13. I am just starting to use an ipad in PE lessons. Do you have a top 10 app's list?

14. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

I'm currently using the following with my iPad
    Ubersense and Coach's Eye for analysis / feedback of technique
    FitTest - lots of fitness tests explained and scores
    Beep Test
    SwimmerTimesCalc
    Swim Stroke
    Go Swim
    AiguaTiming (swim meet app which costs 150 sterling)
    NZ Skills & Drills
    Pitch Measure
    Various badminton coaching apps
    Various drill managers / playbooks
    Most are free or relatively cheap (except Aigua)