1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The US shutdown

Discussion in 'Personal' started by catmother, Jan 12, 2019.

1. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Not a political thread about the rights or wrong of the current US administration but sheer amazement at the fact that federal employees are currently not receiving any pay because of a political dispute. What a strange system.

TCSC47 likes this.
  2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

My thoughts exactly, especially as it enables a single person to hold everything to ransom so easily.

The Americans seem to have an odd relationship with their government though at all levels, some almost despising it for existing.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

But let's not forget - it's all about one paranoid idiot wanting to show how macho he is.

TCSC47 and mothorchid like this.
  4. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

There have been shut downs in the past so it's not all about Trump.
    I read earlier that some airports are providing food banks for their security staff who are now working without money. It made me wonder about unionisation and strike action. Surely if you employer isn't paying you there are grounds to withdraw labour?

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

This one - is all about Trump

Sorry - but it is.

TCSC47, monicabilongame and Laphroig like this.
  6. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

The longest government shut down in US history. On Trump's watch.

TCSC47 and monicabilongame like this.
  7. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

A thoughtful analysis, as always.

lexus300 likes this.
  8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

All Government employees not being paid should not go into work - if that means emptying jails and freeing the prisoners...well, that's on POTUS;)

9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

but it isn't a temper tantrum though, lets be clear about that!

10. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

With Government Shut Down, Citizens Forced To Interfere In Their Own Lives
    U.S.—With the government shutdown in effect, life has felt incomplete for many Americans. “Everything is just too easy—it’s boring,” said restaurant owner Gloria Morgan, “and I realized it’s because we’re missing an essential challenge in life: soulless bureaucrats imposing arbitrary rules on us.”

One of the primary functions of the government is to ignorantly muck around in the business of others, but the shutdown has hampered that. Thus citizens have been forced to try to fill that void themselves. “Today I just suddenly decided large sodas weren’t allowed,” said Morgan. “It was an annoying, pointless obstacle the whole day—it was like the government was still around.”

“I arbitrarily decided I couldn’t use plastic bags in school lunches,” said Arlene Williams, mother of three. “It was really irritating to deal with. It really made me feel like there was still some bureaucrat out there not caring about me.”

Not everyone found it easy to take the government’s place, though. “I tried imposing random rules on myself, but it wasn’t the same,” said business owner Patrick Stanley. “The problem is I understand my business too well, so a lot of the rules actually made sense. I really need someone with no understanding of my company or economics making these rules, or it just doesn't feel right.
    https://babylonbee.com/news/with-go...tizens-forced-to-interfere-in-their-own-lives

It's so terrible. I know someone who was forced to fine himself for a data protection violation when he walked away from his desk to make a coffee and left his computer unlocked. And he was home at the time.

Of course the Democrats could just give Trump the $5.6 billion (just so you know what chump change that is, know that the US government spends over $10 billion every day) he wants for the wall but the chance to harm him and hurt America at the same is just to good to resist.
    http://demonocracy.info/infographics/usa/us_deficit/us_deficit.html

lexus300 likes this.
  11. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Food banks? They get paid every two weeks (which is nice). No one's even missed a pay cheque yet. Last pay date was 28 December. Next one is 15 January.
    https://www.gsa.gov/buying-selling/...ces/payroll-shared-services/payroll-calendars

12. Mangleworzle

What an odd way to run a country.

SHUTDOWNS%20(1).1547222394432.PNG

vinnie24 and magic surf bus like this.
  13. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

There are reasons. The US constitution defines the authority of each of the 3 branches of government. The goal is to limit the power of each branch, so none can claim greater authority over the others, a balanced system intended as a bar to tyranny.
    The Constitution gives sole control over the federal budget to the Legislative branch, which writes the federal budget.
    The Executive branch has no funds of its own, which is why the president can't just order stuff to happen or things to be built - he can't pay for them. He can, however, refuse to sign the budget Congress presents to him if he is unhappy with any of its contents.
    Occasionally, you get these budget impasses. They eventually get resolved and the furloughed federal employees get all their back pay.
    [​IMG]

lexus300 likes this.
  14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

As long as the FBI keep plugging away at shutting down Trump, that's the main thing.

monicabilongame likes this.
  15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Exactly. As much as we could all discuss the current POTUS all day long,I started the thread about the weird US system where government employees (the type of jobs we see as secure in the UK) can just stop being paid because of a political dispute.

16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

What a f......
    The US workforce are a bunch of pawn sacrifices in his Ego Chess Game, which is a daft metaphor because I'm sure his stock response to losing (if he even knows the rules - oh rules! Tshah!) would be knock the chessboard flying.

He knows his rep depends on The Wall, which is beginning to make the Berlin one sound like a garden fence, and is entirely delighted to let hundreds of thousands of citizens suffer to blackmail the money out of the govt.

I hate him. I really hope* he dies of something soon.

*hopes don't legally exist.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'm not convinced... it's just the system of checks and balances at play. So spending by the Federal government is kept in check by the legislature... sounds fine to me. Sure, it can result in these sorts of deadlocks ... that isn't so good.

And of course the legislature doesn't kick up a fuss about massive defence spending [that is in a separate budget and unaffected by this shutdown] or the ongoing ratcheting up of the national debt... so clearly the system is flawed.

I'm not even sure our Parliament has much real control over government spending ... trying to think when a Budget last failed to pass through the Commons.

artboyusa likes this.
  18. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I knew they's always regret getting rid of the Royal family. You wouldn't see the Queen behaving like that. ;)

Stiltskin and Aquamarina1234 like this.
  19. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I was in US a few years ago and there was a shutdown, All the national parks were closed. Fortunately it didn't last long and they opened whilst we were there. It is a weird way of going on and not very secure for employees who have bills to pay.

20. Mangleworzle

So you work in a National Park cleaning the toilets and a big baby president decides you won't be paid until he says so and it's "checks and balances"?

It is an appalling abuse by an employer of the workforce.

Pity they can't just flip the fuse board at the Whitehouse, lock the doors, ground the helicopters, garage the cars and give him a bus timetable until it's over.