1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Unexpected Lovely Book Thread

Discussion in 'English' started by hepburn22, Mar 13, 2007.

1. I pinched this idea from cherryaimless and the ULG thread on personal, but I think it's a good 'un!

So, the next person to post leaves their email address and a brief description of the type of book they like reading.

I will send that person an email asking for their address and then post them a lovely unexpected book.

They then do the same for the next person who signs up.

Who is going to be first?
    (It's really fun btw - I got my first unexpected lovely gift this week and it really cheered me up!)

2. I pinched this idea from cherryaimless and the ULG thread on personal, but I think it's a good 'un!

So, the next person to post leaves their email address and a brief description of the type of book they like reading.

I will send that person an email asking for their address and then post them a lovely unexpected book.

They then do the same for the next person who signs up.

Who is going to be first?
    (It's really fun btw - I got my first unexpected lovely gift this week and it really cheered me up!)

3. Go on then, i'll go. I need a book for my holiday.
    I'll read anything, have just finished This Book Will Save Your Life and The boy in the striped PJ's but I'll read anything.

What a lovely idea!

rachaelhenry@btinternet.com

4. I'll go too!

Ok I'll read anything really. I like non-fiction books, quite addicted to true stories but not really that fussed as long as it's a good storyline I'll read it!

I think it's a lovely idea soon.

lil_irish_sockmonster@hotmail.com

5. Yay! People who want to play.
    So I will email you pinkpots and then you email lil_irish_eyes x

6. cherryaimless

cherryaimless New commenter

And Lilirisheyes can email meeee!!!!!

Hoora.

I like chicklit (but no books about single mums. I'm fed up with it!!!)

I like short books.

Just send me something you enjoyed reading and want someone else to maybe feel the same about a book you like...

kirrincottage@yahoo.co.uk

7. You've got mail!

8. Dunk

Dunk New commenter

9. Hi Dunk! Cherryaimless should email you for your addy. You wait until the next poster signs up and then email them for addy and book suggestions. Cherry sends a book to you and you send one to the next person.
    Hope that makes sense!

10. What a good idea! Will have to leave reading until Easter, though...
    I like reading twist-in-tale stuff - 'Life of Pi' was excellent.

(Dunk - I trust your judgement!)

dracroberts@aol.com

11. cherryaimless

Dunk!

You have mail!

12. cherryaimless

By the way, booklovers, I was kind of thinking that it should be a recycling thing - you know, don't buy a new book, just send one that you have read and can bear to let go of...

A bit more green sharey type thing?

But it's fine to buy too...

Gosh, how inclusively encompassing am I! Comes of spending too much time with woolly liberals, I suppose.

And I listen to Radio 4.

Dammit!

13. Thanks cherry - I meant to say that but forgot! x

14. I will join too please!

I like the idea of sending a pre loved book though may not be able to part with favourites!

I don't much like chick lit. I enjoyed the two Zoe Heller's. I loved 26a and Bee Season was incredible... I actually really like good sci fi. I like Mark Haddon and I love Helen Simpson short stories.

Will read anything as long as it doesn't have a day-glo cover. Unless it's Jane Green.

Oooh. I'm being too fussy. I'll take my chances on anything! I guarantee to send 2 books - one adults one and a great one for teens that I have a lot of and that I loved at about 14.

phoebe_beeberbee@hotmail.com

15. I have to come and join in, I'm very excited by all this! cutepinkpup@hotmail.co.uk I like chick lit and things like jodi picoult (but have read all hers-so something similar!)

16. Ooer Pink Pup - that means I am sending to you! Not being a massive fan of chick lit, I can't guarantee I will be able to choose well in that genre - I may have a go or a may take a rish and choose something else!

17. Take a risk that's fine! Too be honest i just LOVE two read but with the stress of PGCE chick lit has been an easy way to relax without having to think!

18. cherryaimless

19. I posted the book this morning - hope you enjoy it! x

20. What a great idea! I'm in!

I love all kinds of books but I especially into contemporary fiction of the kind that Margaret Atwood, Zadie Amith, Kate Atkinson and David Mitchell write. I also loved The Time Traveller's Wife and Labyrinthe.

My email address is: highball@angelwings.co.uk