1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Resource

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by cas38, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I was just wondering, what is, or would be (given an unlimited budget or if you were designing it yourself), your ultimate resource.

2. An excellent response, although I believe a resource is used by something else. Maybe you are you HoD's ultimate resource.

3. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

If money were no object, I would invest in heavily overstaffing the department so that every member of staff have dedicated time each day to work in groups and to engage in professional learning. The only resource that matters is having excellent teachers - and this has the best chance of happening and being widespread when there is a culture of learning and developingand there is time to dedicate to do so. There should be daily discussions around pedagogy, shared planning, co-delivering lessons, time to engage external others, time to knowledge create and reflect on experiences so that teachers can notice what happened and why.
    Ultimiate resource: teachers

4. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

5. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

We had a one-off such scenario four or five years back when our place had somehow built up a budget surplus and were told to spend it. We were effectively told - put bids in for whatever you need - the thing that would really make a difference. Not exactly money no object, but we could go for something.
    We already had IWBs, all the requisite software, didn't fancy any electronic teaching aid stuff, had most of boardworks, had most of the textbooks we wanted...
    In the end, we bought things like homework books across KS3, another set of graphical calculators, upgrading of autograph, various resources like an updated CAME file and I ordered the entire back catalogue of ATM stuff, and that was about it.
    The thing I kept coming back to was - time, and INSET for the whole dept. And they wouldn't let us spend it on that.

6. @Tandy, I agree totally with your points, but I was thinking more tactics than strategy.
    As for the time issue, what difference would more preparation and teaching time make? What would you do with it? Perhaps I should explain why I asked the question about the ultimate resource in the first place. I recently came across the o2learn.co.uk website and some of the videos felt a little bit like a lesson observation, or an X Factor audition for teachers. Given that the time spent in the classroom with the students is the most important, it struck me that each video represents that person's view of what would be their best or ultimate lesson (considering they are competing for a cash prize), potentially with no restriction on the amount of time or resources available to deliver the teaching point. So the question I asked myself was: If I was to give my best lesson, to win a prize, what would be the best resource I could possibly use to help me teach?
    Tandy:
    "There should be daily discussions around pedagogy, shared planning,
    co-delivering lessons, time to engage external others, time to knowledge
    create and reflect on experiences so that teachers can notice what
    happened and why."
    So, to expand on your point above Tandy, I was wondering what I could learn from these videos and what would be the way to give the best lesson, and what kind of resource would let me give the best lesson?

7. The NCETM (National Centre for Excellence in the Teaching of Mathematics) is my ultimate resource. It has hundreds of ideas about resources and how to use them and it publishes an online primary magazine (it does secondary and EY too I think) every month that is full of ideas. https://www.ncetm.org.uk/resources/27020 is one of its resources pages that I have got bookmarked. It is also a brilliant resource as a kind of encyclopedia for everything thing to do with maths teaching.