1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Hot Chocolate

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by egyptgirl, Sep 16, 2011.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Since I've been pregnant, I've developed a real love for hot chocolate - I've tried many versions and variations but I'm interested to know...what do you think the ultimate recipe is?
    Over to you.

2. There is a place in York which does the most amazing hot chocolate. You are brought a tall glass of steamed, frothy milk, chunks of Belgium chocolate (either plain, milk or white) which you add to the milk and melt in. You are also brought a dish with whipped cream to put on top. Totally amazing and delicious.
    La Place Verte
    http://www.laplaceverte.co.uk/york_belgian_coffee_house_home.asp
    If you are ever in York treat yourself! It is a hidden treasure of a place, off the tourist track.

3. I had a friend who made a milkshake....she had left a box of chocolates out by the window on a hot day and come back to find them melted. ...she blended them with milk and ice-cream for a milk shake...I'm sure you could similarly heat the mix and have a delicious hot chocolate!
    I like dark chocolate and find many drinking chocolate mixes are too sweet for my taste....so have made hot chocolate with chunks of dark choccie...(but never used a whole box of chocolate!)
    How about trying different milks? I love goats milk - it has a slightly creamier taste - I love it warm with nutmeg, I bet it'd make good cocoa!
    For a Christmassy taste I like a dash of cinnamon....but maybe it's a little early for that!...how about adding a little ginger or cardamom?
    And toppings...Sometimes a blob of squirty cream...and those little marshmallows....and a flake to dip in...or a couple (or three..four?...five?....ten?) of those Mikado biscuit things? (You dunk them long enough for the chocolate coating to start to melt...a little melts into your drink, and you slurp the rest off before crunching the biscuit....not that I've ever done that....I think it's time for my afternoon nap!)

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Simplicity is best, I think. I like hot chocolate to be strong and thick. There's a joke where I might insert "like I like my women" at some point in that previous sentence, but I won't lower the tone.
    Anyway, I like strong, thick, hot chocolate served in small cups, about the size of a double espresso.
    - 50g dark chocolate, the best you are prepared to use, at the very least Green & Black's, and between 70% and 85% cocoa solids.
    - 200ml milk
    Grate the chocolate into a small pan, add the milk and heat gently, stirring until the chocolate has melted. Keep heating gently until the mixture has thickened slightly. Pour into espresso cups.
    Optional extras (no more than one, though) - a slug of rum, a slug of cointreau, a grating of nutmeg, a sprinkling of cinnamon.

I love the Spanish style of hot chocolate designed to be drunk/eaten with churros, the lovely sugary doughnuts, that are dipped into the chocolate, perhaps as an evening snack after taking a post-dinner walk.
    I think the thickness of the chocolate (you could almost stand a spoon in it) is achieved through adding cornflour, but I've yet to try it as I'm always cautious of cornflour - a tiny amount too much can ruin things.

5. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Oh my God yes - when we were in Madrid we found this fabulous place that did these. It was so popular it wasn't unusual to see hoards of young people going in the early hours of the morning after a good night out (fatr far better than the disgusting kebab culture here!)

6. OK something is definitely wrong me with me - these descriptions are making my stomach turn, rather than do backflips of joy.

7. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

When we had hot chocolate in a posh tea shop in Paris it was more like chocolate custard. I would guess that it was melted chocolate, milk, cream and cornflour.
    They brought it with a drink of water and you needed it. Delicious but a bit thick for my taste!
    I like Green & Blacks hot chocolate at home. Hotel Chocolat do the nibbed chocolate which melts quickly in a jar and that's very good too.

8. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

Betty's make a gorgeous one too - their own hot chocolate 'sauce' blended with milk, I had soya milk last time we went and it was fabulous :)

9. egyptgirl

They all sound amazing.
    Makes me really want a hot chocolate right now...

10. egyptgirl

(sighs) Oh, yes...

11. egyptgirl

Sounds like its worth going to York just to have this hot chocolate!