1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Fish Pie

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by egyptgirl, Jun 5, 2011.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

How do you make yours?
    Do you use a traditional recipe or do you spice it up a bit? Fish chunks or flaked fish? Do you add any shellfish or veg to the fish pie? What do you top it with? What do you serve it with?

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I use a mix of white fish, smoked fish, salmon and prawns. Poach fish in milk then make a sauce with the milk and extra cream if being really naughty. Lots of chopped fresh parsley.
    Top with mash made with a potato ricer so it's really smooth and lump free. Then I crush a packet of ready salted crisps and sprinkle over the mash before baking. Yummy!

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Oh it's different every single time.
    But fish pie is ALWAYS good!

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

oh! we did this a while ago - let me see if I can find the thread!!

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

6. egyptgirl

Thanks for the link, H.
    Everytime I make a fish pie it turns out slightly differently - I have so many variations of them!
    Good idea about the crisp topping, Belle - I've never considered doing that before!

7. BelleDuJour

Works well on cottage/shepherd's pie too, and another mash topped pie that is reallt tasty is chicken and broccoli.

8. Being a veg freak, I add loads of veg to mine, also useful for hiding veg from 'mum in law' who is worse than feeding a two year old!

I stir fry grated carrots, courgettes and spinach before adding to the poached fish and white sauce, before topping. Always served with sweetcorn, extra spinach and tomatoes.

Anyone made it with mashed sweet potatoes?

9. Reminds me of a student dish my friends made. Can't remember the 'recipe' but it involved tuna (tinned, obviously!) land a bag of salt and vinegar crisps sprinkled over the top. 'Twas fine dining in the turn of the decade 1960/70!

10. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

Granny-in-law's version involves all sorts of lovely fish - nice big chunks - and chopped boiled eggs. Delicious! I like spinach in mine.

11. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I made a fish pie last week froma packet of frozen smoked haddock poached in milk. I baked some potatoes in the oven to mash for the topping. I tried to make the sauce for it using the poaching liquor added to some onions I'd sweated off then added added a little cheese but for some reason the sauce split.
    OK, I thought, no time to start over again, I added the congealed part of the sauce to the mash and did something with the rest of the sauce to make it useable. I also added halved boiled eggs and some sweetcorn but I was incredibly didappointed with the result.
    Her indoors said it was lovely but I found it far too salty to eat much of, which suprised me because I hadn't added an salt to the recipe at all, knowing there would be plenty of salt in the cheese and fish.
    We have another pack of smoked haddock in the freezer, but next time it won't be a fish pie. Probably kedgerie.
    Incidentally, It's not exactly gourmet food, more like food for when the chips are down, you can make a passable fish pie from a packet of frozen cod in butter or parsley sauce. Far too much sauce once the fish is cooked but you can mix some of it with the potato when you mash it.

12. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I prefer to poach the fish lightly (but not prawns if I'm using - will add those raw) first then flake it, using the poaching liquor for the bechamel
    A good thick bechamel, as the juices from the fish will thin it.
    Some cooked spinach betwixt fish and potatoes, to add colour and an irony tang to all those comforting tastes.
    No cheese for me please.
    Very occasionally, a few strands of saffron to the bechamel.
    Always some smoked fish, ideally some mussels as they give the liquor a fantastic flavour, but as Mrs909 doesn't eat (claims to be allergic, but I'm not so sure) mussels, then these don't feature much any more :-(.

13. egyptgirl

Steffi - I top my fish/shepherds/cottage pies with a mixture of sweet potatoes and regular potatoes which is a mixture which I think is heavenly...makes me feel all happy inside when I eat it.
    I think fish pie is one of those recipes where everyone has their own way of doing it. I'm still trying to perfect my recipe.
    Has anyone added any meat to their fish pie? I have a friend who adds chorizo or bacon. Never tasted it but its left me curious.

14. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Yes - part of the beauty is that it's different every time!
    I can see bacon working, but would have thought that chorizo would overpower everything...

15. egyptgirl

That's what I thought! Chorizo is such a powerful flavour - it can work well with a firm white fish (like cod or pollock, for example) if you use a small amount of chorizo but I think if you were to use it alongside a smoked white fish or salmon, some of the flavours would be lost!

16. BelleDuJour

Mr Belle won't eat mussels either [​IMG]. He also claims to be allergic but I know for a fact he isn't. He unknowingly chomped his way through some clams in Milan 18 months ago and survived to tell the tale with nothing more than a hangover (it was New Year's Eve!).
    I so wish he would try them. He's never eaten one in his life (another pretty strong clue as to why he cannot be allergic [​IMG]).
    I love mussels in any way, shape or form. In paella, mariniere, Thai style, with tomatoes and chorizo, on pizza, in pasta..............oooh, just about anyway!!!

17. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

You're right, and while chorizo would work well in a tomato-based fish stew, or fried with tomatoes as an accompaniment to a simple piece of fried cod or whatever, it would seem weird with the white sauce of the fish pie, to my mind. The paprika spiked oil would ooze out and everything would be overpowered. Fish pie is a comfort dish - the spiciness of the chorizo would be wrong, in my opinion.

18. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I love them...normally only ever eat them at home when Mrs909 is out!

19. Hmm....everyone else seems to poach their fish first, I don't. Is it only through good luck that I have escaped food poisoning?
    I lay chunks of raw salmon, cod, haddock, tuna etc. in a ceramic dish (I don't like smoked fish or prawns, never tried mussles). Add ad many vegetable as I can - peas, carrots, broccoli ususally although it varies depending on what i have in. Mix in some sort of white sauce. Top with butttery and peppery mashed potato. Sprinkle a fair amount of grated cheese over the top (we love the cheesy top in out house) and stick in the oven for about 30 - 45 mins depending on size and how hungry I am.
    It's different every time but I've never cooked the fish through first [​IMG]