1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

the tyranny of flat-leaf parsley

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nizebaby, Aug 12, 2019.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Round here in normandy I grow my own curly and it's the parsley of choice in the shops. Why is it so hard to come by in central london?The flat stuff is fine on a greek salad but, honestly, have you ever tried making parsley sauce wth it? Yuck.

2. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

They are different I agree.

nizebaby likes this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Someone once told me all the fishmongers buy the curly stuff for their displays. Mind you there's so few fishmongers that seems a bit unlikely. It's the same in our corner shops, all f/l. But supermarkets always seem to stock both.

nizebaby likes this.
  4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I like them both for different purposes. Curly is essential for parsley sauce I agree, but I find flat leaf far more versatile and is the one I use most. I guess I don't make that much parsley sauce!

I can get both fairly readily but agree that flat leaf is a lot more prevalent in shops. I guess food trends (increased interest in Mediterranean foods and Middle Eastern foods) and its versatility has helped this.

A farm shop should be a good bet for the curly stuff.

nizebaby and primarycat like this.
  5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Both are freely available in shops here, and at Belle Towers where I grow both varieties.
    Each has its own culinery uses.

nizebaby and nick909 like this.
  6. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Funnily enough, a flat-leaf parsley is growing on my patch, a gift from the wind and my neighbour's garden!

nick909 and primarycat like this.