1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Tutors' Association

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by annasmagala, Jul 11, 2020.

1. annasmagala

annasmagala New commenter

Hi, a quick question. Is it worth joining The Tutors' Association? It seems that on top of the registration fee, all the benefits include an additional cost, but I understand it might be worthwhile belonging to a professional body.
    Many thanks

2. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

In short, no.

sebedina, Jolly_Roger15 and Kandahar like this.
  3. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I can't see any point in joining. If there are any posters who have joined, I would be interested to know what advantages there are.

sebedina likes this.
  4. annasmagala

Thank you. I was wondering how then to go about obtaining an enhanced DBS?

5. gainly

gainly Star commenter

You can apply for DBS through some of the tutoring websites if you register with them. Most now charge a hefty commission on any students you get through them, but you don't pay anything to register. You do of course have to pay for the DBS check.

Having said that, there's no legal requirement for tutors to have DBS. I've been tutoring 20 years and never been asked for it.

Isoceles likes this.
  6. annasmagala

Thank you gainly. I wonder if there is more of a need in primary where I will be looking? I will investigate the agencies :)

7. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Never heard of the association.
    Never been asked for a DBS.
    I get requests for lessons, the student says, "I need to learn XYZ".
    I teach them XYZ.
    They pay me.
    That's it.

8. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Good luck. We aren't supposed to name agencies here, but if you search online it should be easy enough to find one.

9. suzette

suzette Occasional commenter

I've been asked to have a DBS when I tutor elsewhere. I tutor (before lockdown) in a prison, so they got me one for that. It was however a standard one. Previously to that, I worked at a tutoring centre, so they got me one for that too. It ran out last month (they last for three years). The tutoring website that I'm registered with ending in f*ir do a full enhanced one for around £50.

I've got one done through them because although when privately tutoring (whether primary or not); I've never been asked to produce one, I'm looking at applying for colleges, tutoring centres, adult education centres as well as privately tutoring in September. Lockdown has meant that I have to tout for work elsewhere because I haven't got anywhere near my full quota of clients through freelance tutoring, so I may have to explore other options.

BTW: I have heard of the tutoring company mentioned in this post and considered registering with them, but I think they're a bit pricey, poncy and not really demonstrated for me their kudos enough for me to feel I have to sign up with them.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  10. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

No! What, if anything, do you get for the fee you pay it? It sounds like someone trying to make a fast buck by exploiting professional vanity.

suzette likes this.
  11. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

I can see this government seeking to regulate the tutoring industry so perhaps in the future we will have to join one of these organizations. Until then I won't be.

Jolly_Roger15 likes this.
  12. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Yes me too. I have been tutoring for 25 years. I have a DBS as I am a classroom teacher.

langteacher likes this.